• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was a problem connecting to the server and Shared Review

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error when the PDF in the destination folder gets opened and I can't figure out the problem. 

Any advice?

Problem connecting.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the server exist and is it reachable from where you opened the file? This can happen if you configure the shared review with an internal server, but then the PDF is opened outside of your company's network, and the server is either not accessible, or requres a fully qualified domain name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more details:

My creative team is all mac based and we have colleagues in other departments we do the Shared Review with that are on PCs and we al work remotely. In order to make it work, I have had to set up Shared Review remoting in to a PC at our office and run the review through it (it just plays nicer with the PC based servers and indiviual employee PCs). 

My test group did not get the prompt and comments came across OK. It's just that I and one of my teammates I used to test it got this prompt and I'm worried about it being an issue.

So the PC is where the original PDF lives and the destination folder for the review file lives on an internal server. When I or my teammate (again, Mac based) opens the review file in the destination folder, we get that prompt and the file does not have teh Publish Comments and Check for new comments buttons (see attached).

Test PDF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing this on a Mac, so I feel your pain when it comes to using Macs in a PC centric environment. I suspect that the path to the review folder is specified using the Windows syntax, and the Mac cannot make any sense out of that. I would create a WebDAV server that can be accessed from both Windows and Mac systems. Using WebDAV requires that you have access to a web server. This page (even though the site is about some other software) shows how to set up WebDAV on Apache, running on a Windows system: https://community.microstrategy.com/s/article/KB423699-How-to-enable-WebDAV-in-Apache-Server-2-4-x-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to ask our local IT guys about that, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The server exists and is reachable. We use VPN to access it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try WebDAV? 

When you say the server exists and can be accessed, does that also work on a macOS system? How did you specify the path in the PDF file?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rely on my IT dept and have suggested WebDAV as an option but no one has responded to that question. Yes I was referring to us accessing the server from the Mac side. The PC side currently has no issue.

No sure what you are asking RE: how did we specify the path in the PDF file. In Acrobat preferences, do you mean? I'll do my best to answer but my IT guys helped set that up. ANy suggestions on resources I can refer to to become an expert in troubleshooting and setting things up with Adobe products in general? I'd love to get into that. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you started your shared review, you specified a path to a server (which is now stored in the PDF file). As far as becoming an expert goes, you just work with the application day in and day out until your colleages become aware of you knowing a bit more about the application as they do, and they come to you with all sorts of problems, and you then do the research to resolve those problems. 🙂 Give it a few years, and you'll get very good at it 🙂 But seriously, I've been working with Adobe Acrobat since Acrobat 3, so I don't have any good suggestions regarding resources because I've never used any besides the information on Adobe's website and in the official product documentation - and a lot of Googling for solutions to more obscure problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do you set up email for Acrobat on the Mac side? Can you walk me throught that? 

We use MS Outlook and I can set it as the default in Acrobat preferences but one of my frustrations is that it doesn't "see" my Outlook address book. When I first tried to set up on a Mac I had to use teh contacts card under System Preferences > Users and Groups. Is there a way to make it see my Outlook address book? How are you set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines