• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unlinking Copied Fields in a PDF Form

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a PDF form with 100+ text fields which have identical size and properties.  To place those fields in the form, I simply copied them, giving each one a different name.  In the sample below, the fields are the blue squares.

form.jpg

When I fill in the first field, that value appears in the other fields.  For example, when I keyed in the number 3 above, that number automatically appeared in the field directly below.  How can I unlink all of them so that each field might have a unique value which doesn't automatically appear in the other fields? 

I realize one answer would be to tediously create each field as a separate entity, but that would so time consumming. 

Many thanks for any suggestions!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each field that you want to behave independently from any other needs to have a different name than any other. Fields with the same name will automaticaly get the same value. Acrobat can help you create numerous fields from a single one by right-clicking the field and selecting "Place Multiple  Fields".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear George,

Many thanks for replying so quickly.

I tried your suggestion.  When I right-clicked on one of the 100+ fields in the form and selected "place multiple fields" I received the following error message:

multiple copies.jpg

I'm not sure what to do next.  Would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be easier to rename the fields you've already created. Just rename them so they are different from each other. Otherwise, you'll have to delete the current duplicates and try the "place multiple fields" again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, George! I'll try renaming them first. If that doesn't work, I'll

start over and use the "place multiple fields" option.

I appreciate your help.

Best,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the "Place Multiple Fields" from the context menu, your fields will automatically be named differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Where do I find the "Context Menu"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Tools > Prepare Form, select the field, and mouse right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work as stated.  Thank you for this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines