Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent: Where to find temporary files after computer/adobe crashed

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

hopefully here is someone who can help me as I am more than desperate, my Adobe Pro DC hangs up on a regular basis and the program no longer works, closes automatically or I cannot save the file. The result is that the comments, marks or other things in the document are then all gone. But I've actually set that there are backup copies. Adobe also asks whether the documents should be restored after the unexpected shutdown of the program - it would be nice if that worked, but it doesn't and only the information comes that no recovery is possible.

Actually, due to this it is no longer justifiable to use Acrobat (it's the main software I am working with!), as the damage it causes me is far too great - but after extensively working with it for years, I find it difficult to switch to an alternative. I've already tried to get technical help on this, but that was also in vain - they didn't found a reason why they also couldn't find temp. files. My only problem is that I just want to restore the last automatically saved (possibly not working, but why?!) processing status of the pdfs.

What I don't want is to save the document as a file every 30 minutes - I have tried that, but stupidly, overstoring doesn't always work and you come out with a lot of document versions.

It can't be that difficult to get the temporary files and I would be more than grateful, if someone had a solution as to where or how I could find the temporary file of the document or how to make sure, that I will find these files in the future. Alternatively I would be happy for a recommendation, where to find technical help in Germany/EU.

Many thanks in advance and desperate greetings,

Nikki 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

@defaulteg6y3kk0unep, To locate the temp file on Windows, look for the AutoSave folder at:

C > Users > (your user name) > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Acrobat > (the version of Acrobat) > Autosave.

Any temporary files will be listed with the .tmp extension.

Where Acrobat's .tmp files are stored.Where Acrobat's .tmp files are stored.

Note, however, that the AutoSave folder is erased when you close the file.

So when you do crash in the future, don't relaunch Acrobat just yet: wait, look for the .tmp file in the AutoSave folder, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaulteg6y3kk0unep, To locate the temp file on Windows, look for the AutoSave folder at:

C > Users > (your user name) > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Acrobat > (the version of Acrobat) > Autosave.

Any temporary files will be listed with the .tmp extension.

Where Acrobat's .tmp files are stored.Where Acrobat's .tmp files are stored.

Note, however, that the AutoSave folder is erased when you close the file.

So when you do crash in the future, don't relaunch Acrobat just yet: wait, look for the .tmp file in the AutoSave folder, and copy it to a safe place on your computer. Then relanuch Acrobat and see if it recovers your work.

RE: the frequent crashes, have you recently updated your version of Acrobat DC Pro? If not, do so. Use the Update utility under Help / Check for Updates.

Also try running the Help / Repair Installation utility. It often corrects a buggy installation.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to find the Autosave folder once Adobe has automatically deleted it?

After Adobe crashed, I stupidly opened a saved older version of the document which seems to have prevented Adobe from restoring the version that I was busy with when it crashed. So now when I open the temp folder, there is no autosave folder. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there was only one chance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who creates an autosave utility that deletes files automatically when the program restarts?? This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me (I've got the latest  version of Adobe DC Standard with all the just under pro bells and whistles).  If you do "Save As Other" and choose "Reduce Size PDF" it will prompt you to save an unsaved pdf before any file size reduction takes place.  So you can save and then cancel out of reducing the size.  When the reduce size dialog box comes up, the file has already been saved with the original size, so you can cancel and rest assured that your file has been saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is stopping you from saving normally? Save or Svae as?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both.  I'll revise my original reply to include that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It won't let me update my original reply, so to make things clear, when you have an unsaved pdf (like one you've created new using "create from - Scanner") when you click the save button, the save as dialog box is supposed to appear.  On occasions a blank dialog box appears giving you no options to save the file.  To get around this, you use the "Save as Other - Reduced File Size" which will prompt you to save the file before you can reduce the file size.  After it saves the file, it automatically brings up another little dialog box asking what version of adobe you want to make the file compatible with... this dialog box can be cancelled out of if all you wanted to do is save the file that was previously unsaved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines