• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I Open Adobe Acrobat - Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens - Reader is NOT installed on pc

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud Installed - Acrobat Pro DC Installed

Acrobat Reader NOT Installed

Default PDF App - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

When I open a pdf document (open with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC), the document opens in Acrobat Reader.

When I double click a pdf document, the document opens in Acrobat Reader.

Why?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

A simple Windows Update solved the issue! Please close this thread. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you specifically try to open Acrobat Pro (not open a file - open the app, eg with Creative Cloud Desktop app, Start menu etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  When I specifically open Acrobat Pro  it is opened fine.   I on;y have the issue inside Thunderbird mail.  Opening in Thunderbird says reader not installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You say it opens in Reader. Does this window specifically say Acrobat Reader along the top? Or it just some different app, definitely not Acrobat Pro? You can share a screen shot if you like, but please make sure it's of the whole window, not just the document in the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader every way that I try to open a pdf.

Lignite22013321ape2_0-1638293082606.png

As you can see below, when I right-click and open-with, my only option is Adobe Acrobat DC, but it still opens in Acrobat Reader.

Lignite22013321ape2_1-1638293879694.png

Also, if I check my Programs and Features AND the Microsoft Store, Adobe Acrobat Reader is not even installed

Lignite22013321ape2_2-1638293976522.pngLignite22013321ape2_3-1638294033288.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???? Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Thunderbird email an app, or a web site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thunderbird is an email app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Thunderbird have to do with this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I see you mentioned Thunderbird earlier. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Did you ever find a solution for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GCSA,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As I understand, the issue mentioned here is that the application shows Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (64 bit), and the installed program shows Adobe Acrobat DC (64 bit). If yes, then this is designed behavior.

Even if you install the Reader DC, the installer will show it as Acrobat DC by name as there is a common installer for the application.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing this issue with my company as well. we do not use Reader at all and only install Acrobat DC (previously Adobe Pro). When we open an pdf it says READER DC at the top and have no editing rights even when logging in with our credentials. We have have to uninstall the application, download creative cloud, log in, and install Adobe DC (Not Reader DC) again for it to work supporting 100's of end users this is an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too. When I open Acrobat DC the program says "Acrobat Reader DC" across the top and there's no ability to edit. Have you found a solution to this? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only solution we have had was uninstall and reinstall via Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it is a huge irritant for me how I can never download Adobe pro dc easily. It always opens in reader and appears no option to default it to pro dc. It drives me up the wall. I have also uninstalled reinstalled but it says it is up to date. I would appreciate that this becomes easier to handle as it is a problem 100% of cases I have to deal with in my role. I literally want to pull my hair out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple Windows Update solved the issue! Please close this thread. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you state which Windows update specifically and also when it was released. We keep up on all the updates weekly and this hasn't been resolved on our end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know that specific update that corrected the issue, however I believe that it was a Feature Update. Have you updated all of the Feature or Cumulative Updates that you are required download and install (not automatic)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My machine was also completely up to date with Windows Update when I had the problem. Reinstalling Acrobat DC solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug needs more attention from Adobe. I have had two people in the last week with this issue and it happened to me too a couple of months ago.

Adobe Acrobat Pro installs without problems and shows up as installed when you check your account with the Adobe CC app.

Reader is not installed.

Windows is up to date.

When you open Acrobat Pro, it still claims to be Acrobat Reader, in the top left corner and will not allow you to edit any PDFs you open.

The only thing I could do was reinstall Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My users are experiencing the same thing. Making sure Windows is up to date is my first step. Normally I can resolve this by clearing the licensing information cache and/or deleting the sign information in App Data. Increasingly these steps don't resolve the issue. Right now I have a user who's Windows is up to date, they have an assigned Acrobat Pro subscription, the Creative Cloud App says it is up to date, but if they try to open a PDF they only have Reader functionality even though Reader is not installed on the machine. Yes, uninstalling and reinstalling will eventually fix it but this is an Adobe installation problem that needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have also one case. i have installed adobe acrobat reader but when i open it.. it showing adobe acrobat pro.

unistallation and installtion did not fixed the issue. after reboot it showing pro again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same issue. Reader not installed at all. Only Acrobat was installed but when opening a PDF or opening Acrobat, it said Acrobat Reader in the top left corner and there was no editing function. Uninstalling Acrobat  and installing it again solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines