• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When open a pdf file, a file created "debug.log".

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

When I open a pdf file in a network folder, a file"debug.log" appears in the same folder.

Use Abobe Acrobat DC 21.007.20091

Screenshot_1.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Евгений,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please let us know if this happens only when you try to open the file from network drive. 

Check if the issue occurs with all files or with some particular ones.

Share the OS version used on the machine.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this happens only when opening files from a network drive.

Yes,  this issue occure with all PDF files.

I use Windows 10 Home 20H2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem here since few weeks.

Special character in user name too.

Only append with pdf open from network storage.

Desinstall and reinstall not solving the problem.

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2021.007.20099

Please find a solution, it's really annoying to take 1 hour at the end of the day to delete all the debug.log created by this bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurred while Acrobat attemped to use local drive as a cache location when you tried to open a network file.
The default cache_path is under the username and it can not be created if the username contains special characters.
There may be some workarounds:
1) In Windows Settings/Region/Administrative/Language for non-Unicode programs/Change system locale..., check to use "Beta: Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support". It will use codepage 65001.
2) Login Windows with a username without any special character.
3) Wait for Adobe to offer a setting to assign cache_path to a different path without any special character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've exactly the same problem.

Can you tell me if you have found a solution?

I noticed that we have "unknown characters" with the "?" in the path C:\Users\???

Thank you everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same issue.

I have uninstalled Adobe reader dc and reinstalled from the website.

Problem solved for the end user.

Also my user had a special character in the username, namely é

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since several weeks. I have also a special character in the user name, but re-installing Adode Acrobat DC did not help. Our network storage is quasi floated by "debug.log" files, because I need to open many PDF files per day on our network storage. The content is always the same:

[1021/093942.227:ERROR:context.cc(150)] The cache_path directory (C:\Users\R�der\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\AcroCef\DC\Acrobat\Cache) could not be created.
[1021/093942.229:ERROR:context.cc(165)] The cache_path is invalid. Defaulting to in-memory storage.

Moreover, it is not always possible to delete that log file until I restart my computer. That's very annoying and disturbs the workflow. And to be honest, such a bug is not acceptable for daily used software which is monthly paid.

By the way, that's the second time this bug happens. It was solved a log time ago, but came back in September.

Is there any solution in work, or any work-around to fix it temporary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround by myself: at the very first, just open one arbitary PDF file in Acrobat DC which is locally stored on your computer, and keep it open in the background all the day. Then you can continue as usual with network stored files without having the "debug.log" file issue anymore. This works fine until you close the last local PDF file in Acrobat DC.

Anyway, I think, this workaround is not very user-friendly and the bug should be fixed by Adobe anyway and as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still exists, which is very annoying.

Will it ever be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Team,

Problem is existing for more than a month and there is no update or information about that will be fixed with next release. 

Feedback please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Team,

the problem still exists and there is still no update! Even no message that there is somebody working on it. Please fix it as soon as possible, or give at leats some feedback how you plan to continue on this matter.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a wonderful support!

No update no answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MeenakshiNegi 

Why are not you giving any feedback!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is still ongoing (21.011.20039) in other way. 

Previous version was creating debug.txt when you open PDF in server. 

(21.011.20039) is creating debug.txt when you edit PDF instead of open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debug text is below:

[0111/142231.003:ERROR:context.cc(150)] The cache_path directory (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\AcroCef\DC\Acrobat\Cache) could not be created.
[0111/142231.019:ERROR:context.cc(165)] The cache_path is invalid. Defaulting to in-memory storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, problem is existing regardless open or edit file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is existing with version 22.001.20085 dated 07 March 2022.

Why isnt this problem being solved for 6 months?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so crazy that a full paid software do not get any support an such a serious issue. I just found another workaround which solves the matter permanently. So for all people with special chars in their names, just create the path manually which the debug.log file is requesting. So if the debug.log file shows

The cache_path directory (C:\Users\R�der\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\AcroCef\DC\Acrobat\Cache) could not be created.

then just create exactly that path manually, including all black question marks in the user name, and give it full access to "everyone". It works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your fixing solution, it works for me well. 

And Dear Adobe Team, now you know how you can fix it in next version, atleast do your job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @patrickr69834338 for your solution it works for me too, the debog.log file doesn't appear anymore.

But my main problem with that is the fact that Adobe Reader was completely shutting down... and making appear this debug.log file. 

Now I don't have this file anymore, but Adobe Reader is still not working, it's impossible for me to read pdf, it's shutting down after a few seconds. I've tried to uninstall/re-install completely the software but it still doesn't work.

Will one day the Adobe Team react to this topic?......... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the solution only works for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC at the moment. I haven't tested it with Acrobat Reader. It's just a workaround and not a final solution. I am also still waiting for the Adobe Team to fix the problem finally. Until then, you might want to open your PDF files only in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (if you are not absolutely dependent on Acrobat Reader).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry, my bad, I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC also, and your tip is working for the debug file 🙂

But the Software doesn't work since a few weeks.

That's why I am so dissapointed, I'm paying for the full Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and it's impossible for me to open pdf's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. 😉 I don't have any similar issue with Adobe Acrobat DC like you. Have you tried to disable the workaround? You can do this by just renaming the fake folder in C:\Users\ to something else, e. g. appending ".bak" to the name.

By the way, I just updated to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and it seems that the workaround is not needed anymore. Now it works fine without the fake folder in C:\Users\, and no debug file appears anymore. Please check if you have really the latest version of Acrobat which is 2022.001.20117 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines