• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When opening a PDF, layers/images appear for a split second and then disappear?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some issues with trying to open a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat DC. The PDF file contains various layers and images, but when I open the file I can only see some of the layers but not all of them, despite all layers being ticked as visible.

A colleague of mine opens the same PDF file in Adobe Acrobat DC and she can see all the layers with no issue. Interestingly, when I first open the PDF I see all the layers/images for a split second, but then they suddenly disappear.

Does anybody know what is causing this? I have attached the PDF below, as well as a screenshot showcasing what I can see versus my colleague.

Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Your Acrobat Reader page display preference should be set to show large images and to use overprint preview. If that doesn't help, try resetting your Reader preferences:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/m-p/11874133

Or, re-install Reader, if you see an option to overwrite the preferences, say yes.

I see you are using Reader 64 bit and your colleague is using 32 bit, I don't know if that makes any difference.

reader.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first instinct would be to run a Repair Installation from the Help menu.  Also, ensure you have updated to the latest version of Acrobat Pro.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately performing a repair installation does not work.

I am currently on version 2021.011.20039 and another colleague of mine is on version 2018.009.20044, we are both experiencing the same issue with layers not displaying properly.

My other colleague who can see the layers fine is on 2021.007.20099, so I'm not sure it's related to needing the latest version as I am already the most up-to-date person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toby,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble.

Please try updating to the latest version of the application released recently. Check if you experience the same behavior. In the application, go to Help > Check for updates.

For more information on latest version, please refer to the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

If the issue persists, please share a video of the issue occurring at your end. 

It would be helpful if you could share a sample PDF to replicate the behavior at our end.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Acrobat Reader page display preference should be set to show large images and to use overprint preview. If that doesn't help, try resetting your Reader preferences:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Or, re-install Reader, if you see an option to overwrite the preferences, say yes.

I see you are using Reader 64 bit and your colleague is using 32 bit, I don't know if that makes any difference.

reader.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, setting the 'Use Overprint Preview' to 'Always' seems to have resolved the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines