• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't users save data in fillable form created in Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a fillable pdf form in Adobe Acrobat X Pro and have everything working great.  When I send it to users they can fill in all of the information, but they can not save the data in the form.  I have followed these instructions before I send the form to the users:  (Acrobat Pro) Type in non-fillable forms (File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features.

The form includes text fields, radio buttons, e-signatures (x).

I have researched for days, spoke to countless "Adobe Chat Room Techs" and still have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I am so desperate for help.  Any advice would be appreciated.

ML

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have fillable forms online and was having this problem with users.

Since it was a form being opened by the browser, I checked the setting on the browser, for my test it was Chrome. 

In Chrome, I entered chrome://plugins

The list of plugins are shown.

The Chrome PDF viewer was Active but not the Adobe Reader.  I turned on Adobe and turned off the Chrome viewer.  Rebooted the Windows 8 computer.  Launched the browser, went to the site with the forms, opened one, completed the form, and saved it locally.  Opened that file and the data is there.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude i tried one hour to save a document  & i have found solution for our problem

1 click SIGN   top right

2  click  DONE SIGNING

3  That,s all document will be saved with edited data

agroseamp@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this post has been active for quite some time, so here goes. I have Acrobat Pro 9 Extended on Windows XP (yes, XP) and if I use the Forms Wizard to create a form from a plain PDF (which was created by someone else from a plain Word file), all of the features allowing users to save the form (Security Settings and Extend  are unavailable (grayed out). Does this mean that the Forms Wizard only allows you to use the Distribution features? I am creating the form for someone else and do not want to distribute it via Acrobat. I want to quickly create the form (the Wizard does this) and extend the features so people with older versions of Reader will be able to save it. This form has only text fields, option boxes and a signature field - nothing fancy.

Is this impossible? Do I have to tell the originator that they need to tell form recipients to get Reader XI+? Thanks much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you exit the form editing mode, you will be able to Reader-enable the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, George!  Such a simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same problem, some users can´t save my forms...

Did any one find a solution?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be more specific as the platforms (systems) and versions (product and release) that your users are having this problem with.

There is no easy answer because of all the different platforms and versions of programs that can read PDF forms.

Until Reader version XI, Reader could not save PDF forms unless the form has special "Reader Extended Rights" applied to the forms. Until Reader 9 this was done through a very expensive server product. With version 9 of Acrobat , users with Acrobat 9 Professional could apply the Extended Reader Rights but could only receive back 500 copies of a given form.

Prior to Reader XI, if the form were sent to a scripted web page, the user of reader could be provided with a copy of the PDF form filled in.

If your users are using Mobile devices, then it becomes even more complicated because many apps cannot process PDF forms or have very limited features for processing forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are using Acrobat Reader.

The forms built in Acrobat Pro XI should work on every version... or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no product named "Acrobat Reader".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.... Adobe reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you even looked at the features or the older versions of Adobe Reader?

For versions of Reader prior to XI they do not have the ability to save forms. For those versions to save forms Extended Reader Rights must be applied to the form by the creator of the form.

The users need Adobe Reader XI to save a form that does not have the special Extended Reader Rights!

For users with versions prior to Adobe Reader XI you must take the action to apply Extended Reader Rights!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click print

Under Destination click change

Save as PDF.

the form will be saved with your information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing will make the form fields content and may cause problems with additional user processing.

Users with only Reader cannot print to the Adobe PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. When I opened the file; completed the file in Internet Explorer, I was able to save and re-edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a form in LiveCycle Designer & Acrobat X, and saved it.

However, when I open it up with Adobe Reader XI, I get the following message

4-1-2015%205-24-26%20PM.png

What am I doing wrong?

This used to be a relatively simple process, and now I'm completely confused with how I enable saving forms that others have filled out.

If I'm understanding what has been written in this thread previously, this is now normal functionality that doesn't require special settings like it had previously.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the PDF in question:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oclrr63636tptvi/Logicalis%20C%26A%20Information%20Worksheet2.pdf?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F‌or forms created with LiveCycle Designer you must enable the extended features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I thought that was the problem, and I followed the steps for enabling extended features.

When I save the file in Acrobat, then open it up in Reader, I get the following error:

4-2-2015%209-34-06%20AM.png

Additionally, none of the text fields are even fill-able at that point, forget about saving, I can't even input any information or text into the form.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smd8hveb8kcb668/does_not_work.pdf?dl=0

That is the file in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me. But fields with specific format needs like date and amounts take input that is not consistent with the type of expected data.

SampleInput.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm.....

Might I have a goofy install of Acrobat Reader?

Are you actually able to save the PDF once you input data into the fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find Extended Features in LiveCycle Designer. Granted I'm using the demo right now so it might not be there.

But the fix is to open in Acrobat Pro (I'm Using version 8 from CS3 Mac)

Menu  Advanced>>Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader…

Hit Save Now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this which I initially thought was instructions on how to save file so others could use and save my form. But read on down where it says that they cannot. Very frustrating and I don't understand why this wouldn't be allowed.

Adobe Acrobat X Pro * Enable Reader users to save form data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just blew 1.5 hours filling in a form - which could not be opened by the recipient or now by me. I saved it, carefully (it seemed) every 10 minutes, and it's gone! Given how much we pay for adobe, I shouldn't have to waste more time now reading how to save it. UNACCEPTABLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elaine S, your problem seems like it might be entirely different.

You mean the file has gone?

The stuff you typed has gone?

Something else?

What is the "Adobe" you pay so much for, please give the full product name and version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a weird question, I can save an acrobat XI pro form with extended reader rights but every time i open it in reader then edit and try to save it always wants to "save as" instead of just saving it. So even if i "save as" the first time then make more changes, hit the save button, it wants to "save as" again.

I created the form in Acrobat  XI Pro and I am also using Adobe Reader X to fill in the form and that's were my saving problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines