• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't users save data in fillable form created in Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a fillable pdf form in Adobe Acrobat X Pro and have everything working great.  When I send it to users they can fill in all of the information, but they can not save the data in the form.  I have followed these instructions before I send the form to the users:  (Acrobat Pro) Type in non-fillable forms (File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features.

The form includes text fields, radio buttons, e-signatures (x).

I have researched for days, spoke to countless "Adobe Chat Room Techs" and still have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I am so desperate for help.  Any advice would be appreciated.

ML

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

74.  Re: Why can't users save data in fillable form created in Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The submit button sends a FDF file with the data. With Adobe Acrobat you can import the data in the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I figured out how to "extend" the form. Is that extension that has been applied to the form permanent? Another words, the form is sent as an email attachment to someone else to be filled out, and then that person hits the submit button to send the filled out form back to us. My question is: Does the form's recipient have to go through the enabling process before hitting the send button at the bottom of the form when they returned the filled-out form back to us?

I just want to be extra sure so we don't have recipient's complaining that they can't open or save the form.

Extend.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit the send button on the form that I filled out and enabled. SEE ABOVE MESSAGE #75

The form recipient received this message again when she attempted to open the file that was submitted, even though I enabled the file: 

ERROR MESSAGE

"The file you are attempting to open contains comments or form data that are supposed to be placed on_______. This document cannot be found. It may have been moved or deleted."

Again, I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro. I took the enabling steps as shown in the message above [#75]

Attempts have been made to open the submitted form with Adobe Reader XI & Acrobat Pro. Neither worked.

See drop box at link below, or go the link posted in message #63 above.

Dropbox - Final_Financial_Report_CONACYT4.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed your Dropbox link before. That seems to work, so I'm hoping this will be already familiar to someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The submit buttons does something special and specific, created by the form author as an action. It isn't the same as emailing the file. I recommend you try to save the file, and attach it to an email, for your tests. That will take the uncertainty out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd Alheit and Test Screen Name: Thanks to you both for your responses.

Bernd:"With Adobe Acrobat you can import the data in the PDF file." If the submit button sends an FDF file, why am I unable to open the file? I used Adobe Acrobat to create this form.

Test Screen Name: Sending the email to myself as an attachment was the first step I took prior to using the submit button. I was able to receive and open the attached file as a form, which was the testing goal. This was prior to "Enabling" the form. Now that the form is enabled -- it won't let me edit the form. However, that's a tangent I don't want to address right now. The issue is when I moved on to phase 2, if you will, of adding the button that the nightmare began.

I'm just confused because when I created these from 9 years ago WITH THE BUTTON they all worked great. A button submission is crucial to the process because we are sending the forms to people who likely will be opening the file with Adobe Reader. WHY IS ADOBE DOING THIS TO US? If an FDF file only contains file data, not the form -- how are we to assure that when the completed document is sent back to us the fields correctly correspond to the question asked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the FDF file it fills the form with the data and displays it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe haven't changed anything. Sounds as if you've been lucky in the past.

1. The FDF file contains the file name or URL of the PDF that was filled in. So if you send it to yourself it always works. If you send it to someone else, and it's a file on your disk, not theirs, they can't do anything. Why are you sending an FDF?

2. Reader Enabling stops editing. It needs to be the last thing you do, because sometimes you can't take it off. You keep a copy before doing it. But you can try File > Save A Copy; that often manages to undo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was originally under the impression that someone else made the file. If they did. they chose to submit in FDF. But maybe you made it. If you made it, look at the options under the submit action, as one option is the format to submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name: Thank you once again for your response.

Yes, I created this file and several others -- 9 years ago. All I need to do with this particular form is remove one of the names from the Submit button. I created all the forms in Adobe Acrobat. Right now I have version XI Pro.

I'm sorry -- but I don't understand how to find the options under the submit button. When I have the form in edit view this is what I see:

EmailRepair.JPG

I have the form in dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Final_Financial_Report_CONACYT4.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select "Submit a form" and click on edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It submits, but even though I wrote SUBMIT on the button, the text does not display via the preferences -- which is something I've never had happen before.

Submit.JPG No.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the properties of the submit button like at your screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Options tab did the trick. Thank you for your help. It's been so long since I've had to design new forms again I've forgotten most of what I've learned, and the relearning curve is steep. Thanks for sticking with me to the bitter end. Until next time.......

Options.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll bars not appearing in text fields with one line. I opened one of the older forms I made years ago and the one line text fields displayed scroll bars in those instances in which there was more than one line of text. I checked the properties on the updated form and the one line fields are set to 12pt font, not auto.Scrolling.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get scrollbars in multi-line fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent this email to two other recipients in my office as a test and they were able to open the file and save it. However, when I sent the form to a 3rd recipient (my boss telling her the form is now finished) the images below display the error messages she got. Additionally, the email itself never did appear in her email inbox. Here is a link to the file in Dropbox: Dropbox - Final_Financial_Report_CONACYT.pdf

1. of 3

one.JPG

2 of 2:

3 of 3: two.JPG

three.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESOLVED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was filling out the form online( from IRS website). I tried to save it to my computer, but when I open the saved file, all data I input is gone. So I tried this: instead of click on the save icon, I click on print, in the Destination, i changed from the printer name to "Save as PDF", and save it on my desktop. When I open it, all data is saved in the form. But I wont be able to edit it though. But that;s fine to me.  So if anyone got same problem as me, try  this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines