Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Why do I have to get Doxillion to read PDFs?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a laptop running Win 10. I have Adobe Acrobat PDF Pack subscription. I have PDF Reader installed and up to date on my laptop but I'm suddenly being told that I need to install Doxillion in order to look at PDFs that I was viewing on PDF Reader yesterday. I haven't downloaded or installed any other s/ware in the meantime. Does anybody have any idea what's going on? 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

Doxillion is a 3rd party PDF reader software. If you have got the Acrobat PDF Pack subscription so there's no need to have this one. So, looking at what you have explained above, it could be possibility that you have started getting advertisement/suggestions on  your previous search history. Or randomly clicked on some advertisement link in past.

Look at the pop-up, there should be an option to hide such suggestion permanently. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the popup only offers the option of running Doxillion or cancelling. If I cancel, the popup disappears but nothing else happens. There are links 'Why am I seeing this?' which goes to an NCH Software web page and 'About Doxillion' which goes to a web page promoting Doxillion. I've tried rebooting the laptop but it makes no difference.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this is a common problem. I went to the NCH tech support web page and there's a link reading 'Doxillion is now the default for all my documents and email attachments' Click the link and there are instructions on how to change back to using Adobe as the default program for PDFs. I have no idea what I did to make NCH stop my laptop using Adobe Acrobat Reader but it's extremely annoying that this can happen so easily.

Anyway - problem sorted now thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for updating the discussion with your findings.

Let us know if there's anything else you need help with

~Akanchha 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had a dollar for every time something does (or tries) to grab a default for my OS... Jeez.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines