• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Acrobat keep merging nearby text boxes in edit mode?

New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to go insane trying to stop Acrobat from helping me all the damn time.

I will have one text box filled with a large block of text.  I want to put a label above it or organize the text a bit, so I make a new text box and put it above the first.  No text boxes are touching, none are overlapping.  

I click save and BOOM, Acrobat has taken the label, shoved the text into the lower box and applied all these messed up Font tricks to get into the correct spot.  That means if I want to move my label up an inch, maybe move a little to the right, I have to cut the text out of the one textbox and make a new one.

HOW DO YOU PREVENT ACROBAT FROM MERGING NEAR BY TEXT BOXES??  

And don't tell me "Acrobat was never designed to work that way" (I've been googling this issue for an hour now, and that seems to be the consensus from Adobe.  "You're using it wrong").  Fine, Acrobat under the hood isn't actually storing textboxes it's just recreating them on the fly I guess is the reason?  

That is bloody stupid.  I should be able to add a textbox NEAR another (I understand why overlapping is an issue, but two boxes that are nearby shouldn't merge.)

Cheesus crust Adobe, you mean to tell me with the millions in subscriptions we give you, Acrobat still behaves like garbage with textboxes?  Write some caching routines for storing the textboxes, add some metadata, add something!  You fixed the insanity that was the PSD file structure back in CS5, why not this?

Every damn day I'm fighting this stupid program trying to get the textboxes to behave.  

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add form text fields. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to use the editor in Acrobat will drive you crazy. Use it only for typos, otherwise use a proper editor, nobody expects you to make complex work in Acrobat. Except Adobe marketing, natch, but they don't have to use it, just sell it. Yes, text boxes do not exist inside the PDF at all, they are recreated by guesswork every time. Just abandon Acrobat for editing now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. I see that this is from 2021 and I just upgraded to the latest in 2024. So far it appears as though they do not combine. Its been the most frustrating thing about Acrobat. Hopefully, its fixed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines