• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WORD hyperlinks not working in PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started happening last day or two, what changed?

Spelled out links work i.e. https://github.com/lammps/lammps/issues/2040

Links with descriptive titles, which have a hyperlink added via WORD do not.

This is a big issue, sent out documents that no longer work please advise.

Acrobat DC 32 bit, Microsoft Home and Business 2019.

Attaching two PDFs, one that works, one that is broken.

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Current Acrobat, Word, and Windows which produces working documents no missing links:Slide3.JPGSlide4.JPGSlide5.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again.  FWIW been doing the same conversions since Office 2003 and Acrobat 7, first time I've seen this issue which  started on or shortly after August 12, 2021.  Is there a way to drop back to a prior level of Acobat DC 32bit? Thanks:

Account Detail:
User Rights: Admin
User Account Control: Limited
Process Integrity: Medium
Profile Type: None
Acrobat Detail:
Sandboxing: Off
Protected View: Off
Captive Reader: No
Multi-Reader on Desktop Support: Off
Applications Installed:
Available Physical Memory: 22107348 KB
Available Virtual Memory: 3812380 KB
BIOS Version: _ASUS_ - 1072009
Default Browser:
Default Mail:
Display Detail:
Screen Width: 1360
Screen Height: 768
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Mouse Buttons: 16
Has Mouse Wheel: Yes
Has Pen Windows: No
Double Byte Character Set: No
Has Input Method Editor: Yes
Inside Screen Reader: No
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Version: 27.21.14.6647
Check: Not Supported
Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
Version: 21.5.20060.443953
Creation Date: 2021/07/23
Creation Time: 11:39:22 PM
Locale: English (United States)
Monitor:
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Resolution: 1360 x 768 x 60
Bits per pixel: 32
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10
OS Version: 10.0.19042
Page File Space: 38443400 KB
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz
Session Detail:
Boot Type: Normal
Is Shutting Down: No
Network: Available
Inside Citrix: No
Inside VMWare: No
Remote Session: No
Remote Control: No
Using JAWS: No
Using ZoomText: No
Using Windows-Eyes: No
Using NVDA: No
System Name: DESKTOP-7LO7E26
Temporary Directory: C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory: 33462664 KB
Total Virtual Memory: 4194176 KB
User Name: david
Windows Detail:
Tablet PC: No
Starter Edition: No
Media Center Edition: No
Slow Machine: No
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning FWIW attaching a PDF created with LibreOffice with working links.

Peculiar issue, removed Acrobat DC, installed old Acrobat Pro X, same broken links.

Also removed latest Windows maintenance KB5005033, KB5004331 same broken links.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, progress!  Tried converting just a portion of the subject document, all the links work.  This is acrobat DC 32 bit, I've seen comments regarding acrobat DC 64 bit suggesting 64 bit is not any faster than 32 bit, but may be better at handling more complicated documents.  Will attempt acrobat DC 64 bit on the entire document. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this issue on a variety of WORD/ACROBAT projects, unfortunately for me my resume (and attached cover letter) is the only document that ends up with missing links.  Was able to narrow down the scope, seems to be a page break issue I will attach files to reproduce the issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...twopage.5 working documents

...twopage.4 missing link documents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create the the PDF from the Word home menu by selecting Acrobat , then Create PDF as shown following:Picture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your export Preferences in the Acrobat Ribbon and ensure that the option to add hyperlinks is checked.

Then select Create PDF.

Select option to Add Links (Preferences).Select option to Add Links (Preferences).

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bevi thanks for the advice. I already have the Add Links box checked as suggested. I've narrowed down the scope to what appears to be a page break issue. I've attached files to repoduce the issue on my desktop, do you think you could check them out and see if they produce the proper results on your machine:

...twopage.5 working documents

...twopage.4 missing link documents

The missing link document has all the hyperlinks displayed with underlined and blue fonts: Only the "real links", work properly, those beginning with http://

Thanks again for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem! Randomly, last week, the hyperlinks are not converting from Word to PDF. I am running Acrobat XI Pro and Word 365 on Windows 10.

I almost exclusively use the Create PDF button on the Acrobat tab in Word to convert to PDF. The hyperlinks are not just working - they're not even being created [the link boxes do not appear in the PDF].

Did you find a solution? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, which is a pain because I am also running some PDF toolboxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying in the hopes that this page gets moved up in search engines. It took me a while to find this and I believe this is a real issue with either Word or Acrobat. We've reinstalled Acrobat and ran the "repair" in Office 365, with same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just run into this issue as well, but from an InDesign document to Interactive PDF. I've created dozens of these, but have never run into this issue before.

What's interesting is that the links work fine in Acrobat initially - but once the document is uploaded to the web, it's like the links get partially stripped out because the links don't work online, and upon redownloading the file from the web, I get the following error message.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.50.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW Should have checked back sooner thanks for contributing.  As of today I am unable to recreate documents with missing links, word to pdf.  Old Acrobat:

Slide2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current Acrobat, Word, and Windows which produces working documents no missing links:Slide3.JPGSlide4.JPGSlide5.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this will help people like me still looking for answers, and seems a compatibility issue. This is not just a Word/PDF issue. I have serious problems with Word 2016 and Arbortext 2020 using Acrobat DC 32 Bit. Even deleting all links in the PDF and recreating them does not completely work. In Word I get different dysfuntctional results with both the Adobe > Create PDF button and the File > Save As > Save As Type > PDF (*.pdf). There's only one preset route in Arbortext.

My larger documents won't even convert if using the Adobe "Create PDF" button. It stalls/crashes when processing tags. One conversion method changes all my link properties from "Open a File" to "Open a web link". Then those are blocked because Adobe does not allow them. UGH! IT security settings.

I ran test after test, documenting each result. Ultimately, the only way I could get an almost entirely functional PDF was:

- Unchecking the "Create Bookmarks" box before conversion. Reader does not use this navigation function, and is likely with what my customers view the PDF. This fixed/finally allowed the second/third occurrence of a link to the same document to work. Seemingly randomly only the first, and maybe second would work.

- Press the Control button while clicking the link. That fixed the issue of links to other PDFs from opening in the same window as the parent PDF, even though the links are created and properties show to open in an new window. Found this on another community thread. 

- Viewing the PDF in Reader, not Acrobat DC.

- For the Arbortext PDFs, I had to delete and reinsert all links in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another tidbit: Macro-enabled files are a problem when converting from both Word and Arbortext. Arbortext won't even publish to PDF if one exists in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines