We recently pushed Adobe Acrobat Reader 2020.006.20034 to our users. Now whenever someone tries to use Internet Explorer to open a PDF link they get an error message "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If it is running, please exit and try again. (523:523)". I've tried shutting off Protected Mode as I've seen in other posts but that doesn't help. The only thing that seems to work is turning off the Adobe PDF Reader Add-On to force the PDF to open in Acrobat instead of the browser. Any idea what might be causing this?
Are you using MS Windows10?
Sorry yes. Windows 10. Doesn't matter which version (we have some on v1809, 1903, and I'm on 1909)
It seems that the Internet Explorer is acting as the default program to handle the PDF files association.
Try by making IE the default web browser (not MS Edge), and set Adobe Acrobat as the default PDF handler/viewer (sometimes MS Edge will take the PDF ownership back).
You can disable MS Edge, and install the new MS Edge which is Chrome based browser and works great with the Adobe Acrobat extension.
Interesting. I had Chrome as my default web browser. Changed it to IE and it worked. Then even after I changed it back to Chrome it still works fine in IE. We haven't deployed the new MS Edge to anyone but IT Staff yet.
Thanks for your help.
Solution 1: Check Cloudflare Status.
Solution 2: Use Google DNS.
Solution 3: Disable or Uninstall Third-Party Firewall Temporarily.
MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM