Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC freezes (not responding) every couple seconds

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Our Users have Issues with the Acrobat Reader DC after updating it to Version 22.001.20169. (Latest Update)

When they Open a PDF File with Acrobat DC it works fine for a couple seconds and afterwards it continuesly starts to freeze and the Window is in a "not responding" state. If you wait a couple seconds it unfreezes but after another couple seconds it freezes again. This goes on continiously. When you try to close it, it will freeze again but after a couple seconds it closes. I could'nt find any solution to this Problem yet. I hope you can help me out. Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Hello again everyone,

We were able to solve the Problem.

To fix it, we just limited the "last opened Documents" List to 10 Entrys. The Standard before was 100 Entrys.

We came to this conclusion after tracking what the Reader Process is doing in the background while the freezing happens.

And it looked like the registry check for every Entry of that list takes either too long or there is a Problem in receiving the registry Entry data.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincenzo!

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry for the trouble caused.

Please try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-windows.html.

Try repairing the application installation and rebooting the machine once. Check if that helps.

If the issue persists, let us know.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincenzo

Could you please provide the answer to the following queries:

1. Are you experiencing this on Mac or Win?
  2. Is the issue happening for all PDF files or just 1/2 particular type of files?
  3. Could you please provide a sample/spindump (in case of mac) and process dump (in case of win) ? Pls. refer https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vinod,

Thank you for your Reply. We are expiriencing this on Windows, specificly on Workers on which our Users work trough Thin-Clients. The Issue is in fact happening for all PDF files. We are currently trying to reproduce the Problem to see if its something specific causing it. We will also attempt to Repair the installation as MeenakshiNegi mentioned above. I was able to create the DMP file. How can I send it to you? I can't attach it to this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Vincenzo25260565wl7l for the responses. You can try re-installing and see if the issue is reproducible. If possible get 2-3 dumps (at separate instances) as sometimes one dump doesn't capture the issue completely. e.g. the not responding state gets lost by the time process dump starts etc.

You can share the dump file using any file sharing utility e.g dropbox, gdrive, onedrive etc. 

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vinod,

We still could'nt find the cause if this Problem. We have found a Solution though. If you rename the Registry Entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Adobe so that the Reader creates a new Entry, the Problem is solved. Maybe this will help you finding out the cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Vinod,

Sadly the Problem was only solved for a couple days using the Method with the Registry Entry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again everyone,

We were able to solve the Problem.

To fix it, we just limited the "last opened Documents" List to 10 Entrys. The Standard before was 100 Entrys.

We came to this conclusion after tracking what the Reader Process is doing in the background while the freezing happens.

And it looked like the registry check for every Entry of that list takes either too long or there is a Problem in receiving the registry Entry data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let me know how to do this change? I'm experiencing the same issue in my Adobe Acrobat. I've updated it to the latest version, but the freezing when opening it still remains and I have always the need to wait for 5 to 10 seconds for it to start working properly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changing the "documents in recently used list" to 10 doesn't solve the issue.  Changing it to zero doesn't change the issue either.  But to change it, go to Menu-Preferences-Documents then there is a window middle top that has a number you can change.  It won't help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines