• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC can't open even small files and freezes at 'Content Preparation Progress'

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open even small pdf files, Acrobat freezes at 'Content Preparation Progress'. Really, REALLY frustrating, I have never had any problems with previos versions. I tryed 'repair acrobat installation' three-four times, I untick 'enable enhanced security' in preferences all in vain. Please help.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, Acrobat Pro DC can't open even small files and freezes at 'Content Preparation Progress'

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed.

Also go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Reading > Under page vs document, Select 'Only read the currently visible page' > Click OK and reboot the application and check.

Let us know if you experience any trouble and need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal

Thank you for following up.

Yes, I have the most recent version 21.07.20099. I have selected  'Only read the currently visible page' and reboot but still haveing problems. 

I can't open any one page PDF documents derived from architectural drawings without freezing the application. I had to install an alternative reader. To be honest i could do without the fancy tools as long as the app is doing its prime function; reading pdfs.

Could I install a previos version? I have never had problems before.

Regards

Tanya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists. Is the issue limited to architectural PDFs only or other PDFs as well? Please try with a non architectural PDF and see if that works fine.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal.

Yes, it is slow but okey with multy page pdf as long as they do not contain drawings. I am not sure how this helps, I am an architect and the main purpose of the reader for me is to open and comments on drawings.

Could I download and older version of Acrobat? I had never had trouble with previos versions even if Adobe do not update them anymore it will be way better than a disfunctional reader.

Regards

Tanya 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya

We are sorry to hear that, Would you mind collecting the procmon logs (Win OS) of the affected machine as described here https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html

Please share the logs with us using document cloud as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html so that we can isolate the issue for the fix. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya

Thanks for sharing the logs in the private message, w have shared the same to the engineering team for review.

We will share the update as soon as we will hear anything from them.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal.

I do appreciate you following the matter up and your prompt responces. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya

Our engineering team has checked the logs that yo uhave shared, we need some more information.

1. Are you trying to open the PDF from the network drive? If yes please download the PDF to your computer first and then try to open it using Acrobat/Reader DC and check if that helps.

2. We can see many plugins and operations being performed including OCR. Can you please share what you were intending to do while these logs were being captured ? Please also confirm if you were doing any OCR related activity and check if they were using any accessibility features.

3. Also please share how you quit Acrobat ? Was it abruptly ? Was it by issuing an "End Task" in Task Manager?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal

Here are quick answers to the quires:
1. Yes, I am opening them from network drive. If I have to download all the PDFs I need to review the process will become unsustainable. All the rest of the software is working fine opening from the drives.
2. I don't know what OCR is. This is my workstation which probably runs things required by the company I work for.
3. Adobe window greys out and I have to right click on its task bar icon and choose quit. It that doesn't work, which happens sometimes I resort to 'end task' in Task Manager

This is taking more of my time that I would like to. I have installed an alternative PDF reader but ideally I would like to install an older version of Acrobat. Please let me know if and where I can download one.

Regards
Tanya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for sharing the information, we have shared the same with the engineering for review.

We will share the update as soon as we will hear anything from them.

Thanks for your time and patience

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

J'ai ce type de problème récent (non résolu). Mais je vous signale que lorsque je demande le "Français" les conversations restent en anglais. J'ai essayé plusieurs fois et c'est toujours pareil. Vrai problème pour ceux qui ne lisent pas l'anglais…

Cordialement,

Christiane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

You may try to copy the text and then paste it in google translate to get  the translation done.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines