Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC stopped working on Windows 10 PC no error message

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working on my PC (Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2). The last time it worked I was writing LaTeX (Distribution: MikTex, Editor: Texmaker). Acrobat Reader worked fine for a long time even when writing on LaTeX. But somehow it suddenly stopped. I tried reinstalling Acrobat Reader, tried some workarounds in the registry, messed with some file names, tried repairing it in windows programs and features but nothing worked. I can't really imagine any way in which LaTeX would cause the Reader to crash. LaTeX outputs pdf files but the programs don't work together. What's weird too is that I don't get an error message. I click on the Reader shortcut, than the loading icon pops up for a split second, than nothing happens. Viewing pdf files on my browser works fine though.

I'm frustrated. I hope you can help me. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

I think you can mark this as solved as I was able to fix the issue by myself. Although I'm not sure what caused the crash.

My solution was given in this link: https://tonv.online/so-beheben-sie-das-problem-mit-dem-nicht-offnenden-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-in-windows-10/

Unfortunately it's in german so guess I should recap the steps.

1. Start as administrator. That didn't help.

2. Use compatibility mode. The guide recommends Windows 8. If that doesn't work Windows 7. And if that doesn't work either i

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can mark this as solved as I was able to fix the issue by myself. Although I'm not sure what caused the crash.

My solution was given in this link: https://tonv.online/so-beheben-sie-das-problem-mit-dem-nicht-offnenden-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-in-wi...

Unfortunately it's in german so guess I should recap the steps.

1. Start as administrator. That didn't help.

2. Use compatibility mode. The guide recommends Windows 8. If that doesn't work Windows 7. And if that doesn't work either it recommends the compatibility troubleshooter. That didn't help.

3. Killing background processes. That didn't help.

4. Disabeling protected mode through the registry editor. That didn't help.

5. Updating Windows. That didn't help.

6. Erase and reinstall Acrobat Reader using Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool through this link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html as the link in th guide is not working. I ran the Cleaner. Restarted my PC. Got Acrobat Reader through this link: https://get.adobe.com/de/reader/enterprise/ . And that my friends is what solved it!

Now what's really weird is, as I read in some other guide, that the file path of my installation was wrong/different. It was something like C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat\...

Now it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\... I don't know if that's important but it seemed weird to me. Like Windows couldn't find the installation or whatever.

Reinstalling Adobe Reader the more obvious way through Microsoft Store or the official Adobe Website didn't work. Both ways it seemed fine but Adobe always crashed.

Maybe someone finds out what caused the crash. If so a reply would be nice. I hope those workarounds will stay and those fancy GUIs won't destroy the experience. Cause I'm not a friend of them. Anyway, I'm glad Adobe Reader is working again. Cheers everyone. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines