• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC will not open on Windows 10.

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I have windows 10 and acrobat reader DC.  Acrobat will not open, just spins and then stops.  PDFs will not open unless I open through email.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have tried trouble shooting.  not sure what else to do.  I have read other threads that suggest opening Acrobat and changing settings but I cannot even open to get to settings.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kims,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, please reboot the machine once and use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove any corrupt and conflicting installation files Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and download the setup of Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Once the setup is downloaded, right click on the setup file and click on ‘properties’.

Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

Once this is done, restart the computer and look for Adobe Reader icon, right-click and choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Try opening PDF files with Adobe Reader, go to Window -> Cascade -> Tile and see if that brings up the PDFs.

If the issue still persists, please create a test user profile with full admin rights and check.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anan Sri, I did what you mentioned but it still does not open. I have Uninstalled, reinstalled multiple times, applied compatibility, watched multiple tutorials but it is not opening. I have to use pdf for my office work, please help me fix this problem.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards

Shahram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Potential fix for windows 10 users.

Using compatability mode to run windows 8 version.

If you right click on programme and the choose troubleshoot compatability. Then Try reccomended settings, test the programme and if it works got back to the trouble shooter click next and set it up.

Or go into compatability mode on windows and run. Then choose adobe and set it up to run off the windows 8 version.

Let me know if this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem. As can be seen in Task Manager, the program has started up, but not the graphical interface, nothing is displayed on the the screen. Compatibilty setting (Windows 8 ) solved the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link for Cleaner tool do not work & could not find it.  Second time in 1 month that Adobe will not open.  Compatibility is set for Windows 8.   Will not change - Do No Open with Protected Mode Disabled is marked.  When try to change it pops up -"Adobe Acrobat cannot Open in Protected Mode due to an incompatibility with your system configuration."  I have already uninstalled & reinstalled this program.  Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Or you can simply open your "Task Manager", find "Adobe RdrCEF" and click on it, then click on "End Task" in the bottom right of the "Task Manager" window, and Voilà. (atleast this worked for me)

Taha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taha, thank you! This worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked for me. simply end the adobe reader in task manager. then try to open pdf file it will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks a million! This worked for me too ♥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. i read your response.   I have windows 10 and my PD f's are being saved to Microsoft edge. I decided to purchase adobe acrobat user guide because the Adobe Reader I had would only allow me to read and I wanted to be able to edit my pages for move the pages around in my document. However I did everything that you told me but it won't show me a compatibility under the same category that you mentioned it doesn't have compatibility under  properties so I'm wondering what to do from there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue. I have Adobe CS. All programs work, apart from Acrobat. Very annoying. Tried all above, and lots more (de-install /  install 2, 3 times) hoping for fixes. Adobe must know of this issue. Where's the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was having same problem, did everything that was suggested, cleaner, re-install etc... still had same issue. sigh... was getting really frustrated been trying to find a solution since we updated to windows 10. anyways for the heck of it, i clicked on "run compatibility troubleshooter" (from the properties of Adobe icon) then "try recommended setting", now i have done this before, but it always suggested i try compatibility with windows 7, this time it suggested windows 8..... and Hallelujah, it works!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - since last week. I can only open Acrobat DC as administrator, ok I can't even open it via this method anymore... and all of the above fixes didn't solve the problem. I have un- and re-installed the program through Creative Cloud, and now when I click on a pdf-file from inside filemanager, it says it cannot find the file! 

I am getting pretty frustrated here, since I have to work with pdf-files a lot and this is taking me too much time! 

HELP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and I tried all of the above!
it's soo annoying!
it's just not responding and not even opening no mater what i do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  One PC and 2 laptops.  This is hamstringing my business Adobe!  Please patch this ASAP.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem with Windows 10. Adobe has simply stopped working suddenly. Anyone able to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And me too, I have same problem with Windows 10. Adobe has simply stopped working suddenly. Fighting with it since the morning with no luck after trying everything found on internet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem this morning. Been installing, deleting, regedit-ing, etc. all morning. No luck. Reader will not recognize the files. All files open fine in Chrome, etc. It just stopped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue since yesterday, frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem - completel stuck.  None of the solutions I have been reading about work.  This is what I put on a new post earlier this morning

"

It started as failure to open PDFs;  I uninstalled and reinstalled AR DC, still PDFs on emails in MS Outlook would not open. Then I tried to open PDFs in Documents folders - got a message "Windows cannot find [file name clicked on]. Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again".  I got the Adobe Cleaner which cleaned up and uninstalled AR DC;  reinstalled it again from Adobe website.  Still cannot open any PDF anywhere with AR DC.  But can open PDFs perfectly OK with Avast Browser and Google Chrome.  Then found I cannot even open AR DC as a free standing program by clicking in program list, and right clicking does not offer an 'open' option.  So completely stuck!  Help please.

Installed on Dell Inspiron using Windows 10 Home, build 1903, OS 18362.836"

HELP please indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping this post will add tot the noise and hopefully get attention drawn this way sooner. Have tried every fix mentioned in this thread. Have even messed with my registry, which I rarely do, based on other threads for simillar problems. I have regular desktop Acrobat DC installation so I can use it when I have no connectivity, which is often. This is a crippling problem that just started two days ago for me. Probably based on a windows update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have been struggling with this same issue for weeks and, at least for me, have come upon a solution.  Find the Acrobat DC icon on your desktop or from within the directory where the program is located.  Right-click and choose "Properties".  Click "Compatability" and check the box to enable it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 8.  Click "OK" and then try to open Acrobat DC.  It should open right up....at least it did for me.  Hope this helps cuz Adobe damned-sure ain't doing nothin' to address this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have just started to have this problem (started around June 8, 2020): when trying to open any .pdf file, I get the error message, "Windows cannot find [file @ location]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again." Am using Windows 10. Have used Adobe Acrobat and Cleaner Tool, reinstalled from provided download, ran as administrator, etc. I too, am keeping Acrobat Reader as a stand-alone from the Creative Cloud, because my Internet is very spotty (thanks, AT&T!). But still does not work! Please fix this or put some fire under Microsoft's ass to get it to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you see many people are having problems and though your post has been marked as correct (and closed the case?) it has not resolved the issue. Can you please look into this problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines