• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader keeps changing the default PDF handler although not enabled to do so

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Acrobat Reader (currently the latest available 64-bit version for MS Windows, i.e. 2023.001.20174) under MS Windows 10. I chose to use a different PDF viewer as the default due to lower operational footprint of the alternative viewer, but I want to use Acrobat Reader ocassionally for certain more advanced features (e.g. electronically signing documents) as necessary. Unfortunately, Acrobat Reader changes the assignment of the default PDF viewer/handler to itself as soon as I open it in spite of the fact that I didn't enable the setting to notify me about possibly different default handler (and even less to change it silently in the background in spite of my preferences). I understand that Adobe developers may be in a difficult position considering the fact that Microsoft Edge (installed by default on MS Windows) changes the default to itself sometimes as well (there are ways to circumvent it with MS Edge, but not easy to find for newcomers), but that's no excuse for Adobe being as evil as Microsoft. How can I make sure that Acrobat Reader stops doing this? Note that I obviously know how to change the default again according to my preferences, I'd just prefer not having to do this after any Acrobat Reader invocation...

TOPICS
View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution for you but I have a complication. It doesn't happen to me.

Windows 10. Default PDF viewer is Edge. 

Acrobat Reader 64-bit 2023.001.20174.

I can open a PDF file with File > Open in Reader. Or by dragging to Reader. PDF files remain at all times associated with Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you describe is no complication (well, no complication for reproducing the bug and no complication for me at least). MS Edge is known to try hard maintaining its association to PDF files (and that's the behaviour described by you), but there are ways how to circumvent that (even if you keep using this browser) - you can find such solutions by searching on Internet. The scenario described by me happens if you use a different PDF viewer as your default (e.g. SumatraPDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines