Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader X crash when printing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stayed up half the night to updated 40 computers from Reader 9.4 to

X (10.0.1) in a Windows 2003 SBS domain. All of them now crash when attempting to print to network

printers (i.e. those installed on a server and shared to the workstations), so I just had to remove X and revert back to 9.4 to get them to print. The problem occurs whether I use the direct download method (via adobe.com) or my distributable copy.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a personal user and my printer is set accordingly.  My problem was not in printing; my problem that my bank statement would not download in IM 9.  I gave up this morning and went back to IM8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our friend the Protected Mode anti-printing bug has returned with the advent of Adobe Reader 11.0.09. The bug must have been fixed at some point after my original problem with this in Reader X, where I found that disabling Protected Mode allowed printing to LAN printers. Tead my posts in the thread above, and you will see that, at least in my experience, the problem was limited to printing to shared printers within the same subnet (i.e. where either the printer or the shared printer host is in the same subnet as the client computer--printing to the same shared printer via the same share host but across a VPN, and thus from a different subnet, did not cause the problem.

At any rate, from some point in the further evolution of Adobe X, the problem disappeared, and I no longer had to disable protected mode to get network printing working correctly. This persisted up through Adobe Reader 11.0.08; however, when I updated some stations to 11.0.09, the problem returned, albeit with a slightly different manifestation. While it does not crash upon attempting to print to a network printer, it simply does nothing; it does not pass the job to the print spooler on the server hosting the printer share, and it never makes it to the printer.

So I am back to creating this .reg value (that disables Protected Mode) on affected computers; so far these are just  Windows XP computers, since many of my clienst are simply not going to upgrade or replace all of their still-working XP computers yet:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\FeatureLockDown]
"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brian-

Don't know if its connected or not, but reviewing a number of posts below, and trouble shooting some other similar issues on a number of devices, there seems to be an O-S compatibility issue "encouraging" people to upgrade to WIN-10. With FORCED updates coming in WIN-10, and hidden unspecified changes to security and privacy in WIN-10, I'm monitoring some of these things now for potential issues. Just wanted to pass this along.

I had success with the "Compatibility" fixes suggested below, so your solution might lie in that direction.

One caution, tho- with the main justification for ADOBE pushing their latest update being an effort to plug security holes in previous versions, and the only solutions to the resulting crashes being to disable security locks or run in previous modes (I had to go all the way back to win-98/Me to succeed) I see a major RED FLAG with this latest update. That some have been struggling with this since last February, it's clear that if this is a known bug that REMAINS uncorrected for this long, there may be some legitimate cause for concern. That the problem MAY NOT be an ADOBE problem, but a WINDOWS compatibility problem, and not only with ADOBE but with certain suddenly "Incompatible" printer drivers in WIN-7 that can only be corrected by allowing an upgrade from ANY previous windows [ some here are running WIN-XP ~30% market share user base, even nowadays !!! ], Server-2k, 3k, etc) to WIN-10, I see a major red flag. A forced upgrade to WIN-10 is a real concern.

I'd love to be corrected on this. I'm just commenting on what I've noticed. Sincerely- I MAY be missing something.

Best to you and all here,

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines