• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open '###.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or...

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user who receives read only flash drives from the government.  She is unable to read the files and gets the error that the file is not a supported type (.PDF, so not that) or has been damaged.

The files are not damaged.  Not only can I open them perfectly well on this computer using Chrome (Acrobat plugin) and Edge, but when logging in as a different user, the files opened fine in Acrobat Reader DC twice before they started displaying the same error message for that computer user as well.

Moreover, if I copy the files to the local drive, they will open in Acrobat Reader DC with no 'repair' or other changes.  It is only if Acrobat Reader DC tries to read the files directly from the r/o flash drive that I get the error.  And finally, I know the files are good because I take them to other computers and they open from the flash drive without error in Acrobat Reader. 

It makes absolutely no sense to say the files are damaged or the wrong file type.  Acrobat Reader DC is updated/current and I have reloaded it.  The problem persists.

I could use some help getting this to work properly.  Though I could switch the user to Edge or Chrome, I prefer to know what is happening and fix it.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?