• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - hang with Save/Edit features.

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with version 2021.007.20099 and noticed that it always get hang when using the Save-As button (with blank box) and the rest of buttons features such as "Edit PDF", it pop-up box was blank. Try several solutions found from this Community Forum (which related to the Save - Blank box issue) such as disable the "General - Show Online Storage When Saving File", this only solved the Save blank screen, but the rest of problem with Tools - Fill & Sign, the Signature button click but entire screen turn black and hang there. 

I tried restart the PC, it back to normal for first time and once closed the software, and re-open it, the problem continue again. I even try to "Repair the software" also similar result as earlier method. I tried closing the RdrCEF.exe through the Task Manager screen and restart the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, sometimes it work but most of time it doesn't. I suspected this latest version really not stable and got bugs need to be fixed.

Do anyone know what's going on with this version and how to get it fix, or really have to wait until the next update version?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

As per the issue description that the application hangs with other tools like Fill & Sign while signing, right? Here is a discussion thread on a similar issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/screen-goes-black-when-adding-signature/td-p/10979100

Let us know if you face any issues following the troubleshooting provided there.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harsh,

Thanks for your reply and here are the results after trying out the methods shared.

1.  Conducted a trial test with using another separate laptop with Windows 10, and installed the similar version of 2021.007.20099 (64-bit) and result shown similar problem existed as well. Conclusion, different OS (Windows 7 & 10) experiencing same issue.
  2.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the software with laptop using Win7 (OS) which was reported earlier. ---> No improvement.
  3.  Closed all RdrCEF.exe appeared in Task Manager, and restart the software. ---> No Improvement
  4.  Turn off "Use Modern Interface" from the Preference tab, closed and restart the software ---> No Improvement
  5.  Turn off "Enable Enhanced Security" in Preferences > Security (Enhanced) as indicated ----> No Improvement
  6.  Try "Repair Installation" and follow by closing all the RdrCEF.exe via Task Manager, restart the software. ---> WORK for 5 minutes only and then back to "Hang mode" on all boxes appear again. (refer to below sceenshot with time stamp as reference). 

All boxes will turn to blank and nothing can be opearte with it. This issue began with the recently version as never encountered such problem in the past prior to this latest update.

I can't keep on doing the "repair installation" every time when I want to use it and this step is not fixing the issue permanantly. I hope Adobe team can look into this issue and address it on next update as it's affecting other users around the world if unsolved.

appear back.jpgblank explanation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on the outcome highlighted above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Kindly confirm if both the computers have any Antivirus installed? If yes, disable that and then close the Acrobat application completely from the task manager too, then try to reopen and check if the issue persists. (Make sure you re-enable the Antivirus protection)

Also, Here is a link to resolve the blank box issue in Creative Cloud. Try these steps too: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/fix-blank-white-screen-sign-in.html

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the method by disable the antivirus and restart it. ---> Same result, no improvement.

I have tried all solutions available from the forum discussion and all does not work.

Suspected the issue might related to the RdrCEF.exe file which it remains open at Task Manager even the software was closed. Need to end those 5 activate RdrCEF.exe file manually and repair installation, issue gone as the RdrCEF.exe files will disappeared automatically at Task Manager once software was closed. But this process won't last long and issue will reappear again (Save-as, Edit PDF, navigation button display all blank and Signature - turn black and unrespond) and the RdrCEF.exe files hang again at Task Manager even software not open.

There is another user reported similar issue as well on yesterday.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/adobe-reader-blank-dialog-box-and-faded-ap...

Perhaps you can look into this area and see whether it is the root cause or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

There are few more troubleshooting steps you need to perform, here are the steps below:

1.  Reset the Acrobat preferences to default, here is a link to refer:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

2. Create a new test user profile in widows with full admin rights and try using the application there.

Let us know if it works this time.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested it and shown similar results without any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the next step? It has been taken for so many days and still not able to resolve this issue and I cannot use the application as it kept remains into the "Hang" mode like this even I disable the Save-As - online mode but once this will solved the Save-As issue but the signature add-in option remains "hang" and cause entire application hang. If this issue is not able to resolve, I will uninstalled this application and switch to Adobe Reader 11 or other application which give more stablity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you have already tried some elementary troubleshooting, we need to now uninstall and reinstall the application.

Use this cleaner tool to uninstall the application: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

and then check the Adobe folder at the following location and delete them manually:

•     C://program data (enable view hidden files to see this folder)
  •     C://program files 86x/common files
  •     C://program files 86x/
  •     C://program files/common files
  •     C: //program files/

Then install it back from: https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Let us know if it works.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harsh,

Sorry for my late reply as I was away for few days.

I have follow your instruction given above and delete all relevant folders which associated with Adobe manually. Then, follow with installation of the software back via the link given. Below are the results:

1) After installation, run the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and initially look normal in term of those "problematic" navigation functions when tried it out.

2) After 20 minutes later, when relaunch the software to try out, those "problems" reappear once again! (refer below screenshots) 

- "Save-As" function box shown blank (hang)

- "Edit PDF" function box when press, shown blank (hang)

- Click on "Add-Signature", the screen turn black and nothing is working.

3) Overall, nothing much improved with this troubleshoot. 

Save as blank.jpgedit PDF window blank.jpgadd signature black.jpg

I am done with this version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and very disappointed with this upgrade as it created problems for users instead of user-friendly. 

I will uninstalled it and revert back to Reader 11.0 which more stable and reliable although it's apperance look old and outdated. Will only consider switch back to DC version if there is latest upgrade version that fix all this "crazy" issues introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience and cooperation. Could you please confirm some information?

1. Complete version of the windows OS,

2. Did you follow all the steps above on both the affected machines, windows 7 and 10?

kindly collect Process Monitor logs from the affected machine, using the Adobe Process monitor tool and send us a private message. 

For sending a private message follow the below steps:

1. Tap my name beside my profile picture.
  2. Tap send a message.
  3. Write your message and tap send.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Harsh,

I have uninstalled the Acrobat Reader DC days ago, so how do you want me to run this test again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to move it? Please advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines