• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shortly after I launch acrobat reader dc or open a pdf file with acrobat reader dc the program halts and I get a message saying:

"Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The program never closes and I have to hit close program to exit.

I am running Windows 10 and until recently did not have this problem. I ran troubleshooting program compatibility, but that did not resolve issue.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling - did nothing - same problem.

I downloaded adobe acrobat reader dc cleaner tool and used it to clean both acrobat and reader.

Rebooted and downloaded program from adobe.

Same problem once installed.

I have also associated all pdf files with adobe acrobat reader dc for opening, etc.

Any suggestions or solutions?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Hi philiphas​,

We released an update today that fixes a similar issue. This update will be automatically applied to all Acrobat and Reader users in the coming days. You may also update to the latest release by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

Could you please try it out and let us know if it addresses the above mentioned issue?

Thanks!

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 238 Replies 238
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have traced this problem to the automatic up dates that were made to my computer running Windows 10.  The Reader worked great yesterday, but after the update it does not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this problem further and found that if I open the Reader first, then I can click on File-Open and select the exact file that was created and saved to my computer when I got the first error message and it crashed, it worked just fine. 

Then I created another PDF file through the same application that I used to created the one that crashed and it opened just fine.  This is while the Reader was already opened. 

To summarize this - Open the Reader via it's own .exe program.  Then leave it open while creating PDF files through a third party application.  It will work this way.  I still think the problem was created in the automatic update to my computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem in my web application. Only in IE and only when the pdf is launched via a Modal Window. When I take the same url for the pdf and launch from non-modal window in IE, no errors.

UPDATE: FIXED!

I have found the cause of this issue… or at least steps to fix.

From Start menu All Programs - Start Acrobat Reader DC and select Edit - Preferences

In Security (Enhanced), Un-check Enable Protected Mode at startup.

1.png

In Security (Enhanced), Un-check Enable Protected Mode at startup.

2.png

Close Acrobat and IE. Re-open IE, Should work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling PROTECTED MODE at STARTUP in PREFERENCES -> SECURITY (Enhanced) fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely works as a 'Workaround' however some of us in a secure enterprise environment are not permitted to disable this for our users based on our corporate security requirements. We are still waiting for Adobe to acknowledge the issue as it pertains to users of systems using SAP on their backend whose users are severely impacted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for those users that is having problems with Adobe Acrobat DC version 2015.023.20056 in e.g. Internet Explorer 11 (and not using e.g. SAP) - the problem remains and appears in e.g. the following way:

The latest update for Adobe Acrobat DC version 2015.023.20056 causing a lot of problems when for. ex. jumping from PDF-document to next PDF-document in e.g. Internet Expoler 11, Google Chrome and FireFox.

Adobe Acrobat DC Version 2015.020.20039 works nice (without any problems) with Internet Explorer 11, FireFox and Google Chrome.

Abandoning PDF-viewers from Adobe and began using other PDF-viewers or begin using MS Edge's and Google Chrome's own PDF-viewers (plugin-PDF-viewers in e.g. Google Chrome) - is that the super poor work-around to the problem that was caused by the latest update for Adobe Acrobat DC version 2015.023.20056?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tracking down this weird bug in our application for almost 2 hours now, you guys won't believe how happy I am to see I'm not alone (and I can blame it on someone else's code )

fb123fb wrote:

[...] Adobe Acrobat DC Version 2015.020.20039 works nice (without any problems) [...]

Where can I download a previous version, like the one you mentioned? I am unable to find an official download link from adobe. Download aggregators like FileHippo also seem just to link back to Adobe.com.

Many thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.020.20039 from this below Adobe-URL:

http://get.adobe.com/se/reader/otherversions/

If you choose English as a language, then you are not able to download Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.020.20039.
If you e.g. choose Dutch or e.g. Norwegian as a language, you can choose do download version 2015.020.20039.

Yepp, I know it is weird (that it is different versions depending on the language you choose), but it only confirms that Adobe knows that there are problems with the latest Acrobat Reader DC-version and yet they are silent as a stone regarding the problem and ignore to answer all those asking about the status for the problems in question or if there is an ETA etc. etc.

Maybe the silent treatment is what the ppl. at Adobe consider to be a very good customer care.

Heads-up:  When you have installed Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.020.20039, you must disable Adobe's auto-update.

If you don't do that, you will silently (since Adobe have a thing for the silent treatment method)
get your Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.020.20039 updated to the latest malfunctioning DC-version without you even noticing that it has been updated. Eventually, you will notice that your Acrobat Reader DC is acting weird or not working at all and then you will discover that the program has been updated to the latest DC-version (again) etc. etc.

You have to consult other threads here on Adobe-forum - threads where kind ppl. advise on how to disable Adobe's auto-update etc.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem described below, is a continuing problem = not solved

(the text below is taken from a previous post in this thread):

"The latest update for Adobe Acrobat DC version 2015.023.20056 is causing a lot of problems when for. ex. jumping from PDF-document to next PDF-document in e.g. Internet Expoler 11, Google Chrome and FireFox.

Adobe Acrobat DC Version 2015.020.20039 & Adobe Reader XI (11) works nice (without any problems) with Internet Explorer 11, FireFox and Google Chrome."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those willing to continue to struggle with Acrobat, it would be nice to tell how to get this file to replace the buggy version.

I am going forward with Foxit.  A test of Foxit, that Acrobat always failed, was to leave my laptop up all night, then open a PDF.  Foxit had no problem.  All was smooth.

Best of luck with the older version.  Hope that works for you.

For those of you in the corporate environment, who CAN'T just uninstall and install software not approved by your CIO and CSO, I would suggest writing, by surface mail, the CEO of Adobe.  The higher ranking title you can get on those letters, the more likely he will pay attention.  For a hobby user, like me, I'd be lucky if the mail room would even direct it to him.  If you know of other users in other corporate environments, forward this info to them.

Mr. Shantanu Narayen

CEO, Adobe

345 Park Avenue

San Jose, CA 95110

This address from Yahoo Finance Profile for ADBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. Useful for those users not sitting on a computer at work that is restricted to follow the companies IT-policy etc. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't have that option. Also, I'm running 15.023.20070 and it's 4.83 GB (more than Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Creative Cloud combine... that's INSANE! Exporting from InDesign to a PDF is taking at least 5 minutes for one file and opening pdf;s is proving to take a long time as well. Why is the file so large? Maybe that's why everything is running super slow? I'm not a happy camper right now. PLEASE HELP US ADOBE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem since the update was installed night of Jan 10. I get an error message that says "the instructions at 0x5418525 reference memory at 0x000000000 cannot be read. Click on OK to terminate program" I get this for every pdf file and even when I just try to open adobe reader. And I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times and tried to repair twice. No problems with opening the files on other computers. I just hope the other ones don't automatically install this mess. Need to have a repaired update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the exact same issue since the automatic update to version 15.023.20053 the night of Jan 10th.  Anyone know how to go back to ver 15.020.20042?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I don't know if it's a way to explore, but I can see Adobe Reader DC crashes when a pdf is called from a 'showModalDialog' javascript instruction in Internet Explorer.

The pdf file is well displayed, but, every action (print, save, zoom...) crashes.

I have tested another method (just a 'window.open'), and No more crash...

Hope this helps.

Sorry for my English, it's not my natural language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, problem is the workaround of opening the PDFs after opening Adobe first wont' work in our case.  Our SAP invoices pull up from SAP in Adobe so the users are not able to view invoices currently, this is a huge problem, please fix this immediately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 here. Same thing for our SAP users. The preview loads but the controls (save or print) crash Acrobat DC Reader. Tested with Chrome it works fine. Chrome isn't fully supported so we have a BIG fire on our hands....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue since my computer applied an update this morning.  When I attempt to open a pdf file, it says Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working then closes.  I have the same issue if I try to open a pdf file through my Adobe ID account.  I have tried to uninstall Adobe and reinstall it.  I have tried to repair it.  I cannot even convert a file, because it will not stay open long enough to save it.  I even tried to remove the update and went through the uninstall / reinstall process all over again.  No help!!!  Still have same issue!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a techie, however after experiencing the same problem when my windows 10 computer updated last night, I just tried this and it worked.  I went to my windows Adobe reader icon and right clicked on it and selected "open file location." Once there, I right clicked on the file itself and selected "properties." I then went to "compatibility" and unchecked the compatibility mode (which displayed - run compatibility for windows 7.  When I checked the other compatibility mode options, I did not see windows 10 (there were others), I made a guess to uncheck this box.  I can now open all pdf files w/out issue - and they open quicker than before. 

Let me know if this helped anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Robert.  I thought I would try this yesterday but I do not have the option to change compatibility(even running the program as an administrator does not allow me to change the compatibility.  It is fixed on Windows 8 even though my OS is Windows 10.  I even un-installed and re-installed in different OS versions multiple times but it still reverts me back to Windows 8.  See image.

Adobe Compatibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also uninstalled and reinstalled w/out any solution.  However, I found that I can uncheck the box under compatibility mode.  It looks like your box is checked and unable to uncheck (greyed out)? I simply unchecked mine and it's been working after several attempts.  Did you try to run the compatibility troubleshooter? BTW - I also uninstalled Foxit PDF (an HP reader) and Microsoft Reader before I did anything - w/no solution.  If you cannot uncheck your box, then I'm not sure why.  Is the Adobe reader that you have installed currently the one for windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have done all you suggested, even cleared out my registry of any traces of Adobe every time unstalled and before re-installing.  The only thing I did not do was remove my default windows 10 reader.  I have no other PDF programs to fall back onto without the Windows 10 one.

I have installed Adobe manually and chose Windows 7 then tried again by doing Windows 8 and then tried again on Windows 10 and then tried the normal default and after all of the different un-installs in installs it still defaults to the Windows 8 compatibility without giving me the option to change it.  I am glad it worked for you but it appears that the issue for me is going to be a much longer drawn out process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too! Thanks so much non-techie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely worked!!!! Thank you so much. Now it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines