• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader won't print. (But problem solved.)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I'm posting this in the hopes that it might help someone else out that may have the same symptom. Last week, my Adobe Reader stopped printing. Nothing I did produced any result. Not hitting the print icon. Not hitting CTRL+P. Not selecting "print" from the drop-down menu. There was no error message. No nothing. It was as if I hadn't clicked anything. I tried repairing the installation, no help. I've rebooted the computer many times over the last couple weeks. Here's what finally fixed it. On a whim, I went to Windows Explorer, right-clicked on the PDF file, and selected "print" from Explorers context menu. Adobe flashed open for a sec, and the document printed. Now, Adobe Reader prints as it always used to do. There must have been some little "glitch" or something going on.

Problem solved. Hope this helps someone else.

Artie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Hi All

We have fixed this issue in the latest version (2023.006.20360) of Acrobat or Reader. Please upgrade Acrobat or Reader to the latest version by following the below steps:

Click on the MENU button in the top left corner > Help > Check for Updates.

Please confirm if the issue is fixed or not at your end after checking the issue on the latest version of Acrobat.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Artie,

Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting, we appreciate your time and effort.

This would be a helpful information for someone who will experience the same.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 years later this is still a problem. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't print a pdf. I tried reinstalling the printer, rebooting, ran the troubleshooter, but adobe acrobat just wasn't sending it to the queue. The right-click print trick mentioned in this forum helped me get around the problem. Running windows 10 with all adobe products up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Artie and Ankanchha

I'm having the same issue....it's just stopped printing from the Adobe viewer.
If I save the PDF in another folder, if I right-click on the file name and select print....it will print...but gives me no options.Eg if I've got a 16 page PDF and I want to print pages 1-5, it wont let me...it just prints the whole thing.
It doesn't give me the printer menu.
This has just happened a few days ago.

I'm running Windows 10 !!!

Maybe not the same operating system as you.

Still cant get it to work

Akanchha.....is this a common problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

You may try printing this way Print selected pages of a PDF file using Acrobat or Reader

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good day Artied2.  It seems i'm having the same issue but can you explain a little further.  When you say you went to windows explorer, you mean windows file explorer?  correct?  This would surely insinuate you have the file saved on your pc.  My issue is that when i use an online database and request a report, the preview opens Adobe, however when i click on the print icon it acts as if i never clicked.  Maybe not the same issue here.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please delete my comment if possible.

Realized there are other threads about this issue with replies from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tony. Yes, it was within Windows file explorer. In other words, what you get when you hit the "Windows" key + "E". I can't explain much beyond that. It just started working after doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem on a mac. Any idea how to fix it.. Really annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Marc. I really don't Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  hope ,  I hope,  I hope... after 2 years's struggle... I got a pdf that wouldn't print to print.  

meanwhile If i ever took the time  and  chose to have my Adobe Professional open the saved PDF , it would always print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

U were very lucky.  Does NOT work for me with Windows 10 Pro.  I can open the pdf file with Photoshop & print.  Terrible help solutions from Adobe company.  That's what I expect with them.  Previously had an Adobe tech helping me with Premiere Elements.  He told me to watch people's videos on YouTube!!!  That's a sign of a great tech help department.

Hopefully, it will start working as mysteriously as it stopped.  Maybe an update, but my installation says up to date.  Repair installation did not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PRINTING AGAIN by following this protocol from WinTips.org [THANKS!!!] that I found with GOOGLE!

Sorry the pictures didn't transfer over.  Go here: https://www.wintips.org/fix-cannot-print-pdf-files-from-acrobat-reader-in-windows-10-2004/

FIX: Cannot Print PDF files from Acrobat Reader in Windows 10 2004 (Solved).

Yesterday, one of my clients reported that suddenly, it cannot print PDF files after updating Acrobat Reader to its latest version. The weird thing about this problem, is that the printer doesn't print, only when using Adobe Acrobat Reader to print PDF files, and not with Microsoft Edge or Foxit Reader.

Acrobat Reader DC print problem in details: When you try to print a PDF file from Acrobat Reader in Windows 10 nothing happens (the print process is not start and the print queue is empty), while the printer prints normally from other programs (Word, Excel, etc.).

If you could not print PDF documents in Acrobat Reader DC, follow the instructions below to fix the problem.

How to FIX: Acrobat Reader Can't Print PDF files in Windows 10 2004.

Method 1. Disable the Protected Mode in Acrobat Reader.

For an unknown reason, the printing problem in Acrobat Reader may appear, if the "Protected Mode at startup" setting is enabled. To turn off the "Protected Mode at startup":

1. Open the Acrobat Reader DC program and from the Edit menu choose Preferences.

2. Select Security (Enhanced) on the left pane and then uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at startup checkbox at the right.

3. At the pop-up window, ask Yes.

4. Click OK to close the Preferences settings.
5. Close and re-open the Acrobat Reader application and try to print a PDF file. The problem should be solved. If not, continue to method 2.

Method 2. Print PDF file as Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazingly, a year later, and they STILL have not fixed this problem. Thank goodness I found your instructions.  Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this did not solve my problem.  My problem was rather than print, the postscript file was saved.  Which was usless.  I went into Print -> Advanced  and untoggled "Print to File".  That solved all my problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This has been killing me for a week and your post saved me.  I HATE updates where the most basic functionality is mangled and destroyed.  Thank you again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complete uninstall and reinstall

1. Revo Uninstall (Free is fine)

2. Select Adobe and uninstall

3. Restart

4. Download and install Adobe Reader

Fingers crossed you are as lucky as me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU ARTIE, although your post is from 2017 it still works in 2023. You just solved my problem.
I salut you for your ingenuity...
Norberto 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

09/26/2023 Just thought I would add something from my clients recent experience:  Right clicking on a PDF file and slecting Print option had stopped working on Windows 10 PCs. Adobe Acrobat Reader was set as the default application for pdfs. This was a new version of Acrobat Reader ver 23.6.20320.0.  What fixed this was Opening Acrobat Reader and going into the Menu (3 horzontial  lines upper left corner) and then select "Disable new Acrobat Reader" then  'Restart" Acrobat Reader when prompted.  This set Adobe back to a previous reader style.  Once this was done selecting Print from file menu returned working. This also resolved an issue where applications that needed to print pdfs had also stopped. Even older apps that were using "ShellExecute GetDesktopWindow(), "Print"..." now worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dwayne325443412j3a

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this.

Could you please confirm if the option does not work only when you use the new UI? Share the current Acrobat Reader version number. It would be helpful if you could share the screen recording so we can get this behavior checked.

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change, however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat. 

As we made these changes in the interface, we have tried to ensure all tools & features that are currently supported retain their familiar functionalities and workflows as they did in the previous version. We are committed to addressing any gaps or issues reported by users related to any break in current workflows in all our past & upcoming releases. In case any of your current workflows are not functioning as expected, do share them with us on this thread, and we will address them with the highest priority.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denise32407016hkpx,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

I have tried the same workflow and issue is not reproducible at my end.

Could you please provide the following information:

1) Has the problem started happening recently, or has it been going on for a while.
2) Is it happening with every PDF files and some set of PDF files. Please share any one of them.
3) It will be great if you can provide a video of the issue that’s happening at your end.
4) Is the issue happening every time, or is it happening intermittently. 

Thanks,
Abhishek Ranjan Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We have fixed this issue in the latest version (2023.006.20360) of Acrobat or Reader. Please upgrade Acrobat or Reader to the latest version by following the below steps:

Click on the MENU button in the top left corner > Help > Check for Updates.

Please confirm if the issue is fixed or not at your end after checking the issue on the latest version of Acrobat.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It is not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, still not fixed.  Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines