Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto save option - where are my files?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I was reading through a very long pdf file, highlighting the most important passages. The auto-saving option is activated to save the file every 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I can't find those "temporal files". They are neither in my C>windows>temp-folder, nor in my C>programs>Adobe-folder, and I can't reopen or restore it by opening adobe reader DC (version 2015.023.20070), or the original file.

I am really lost right now, and appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Maria

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and delay in response.

Sadly, there is not much that can be done. But we would like to know hat happened that you were looking for the AutoSave file in the first place. 

Ideally, if the application crashed and you couldn't save your work. Next time when you Launch Reader/Acrobat it should bring the file with AutoSaves. Please let us know what exactly happened and could you share the file with us. Would like to check if there is some issue with the AutoSave feature.

Will be waiting for your response.

- Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, this is the level of sophistication you geniuses at Adobe have landed on? Despite the fact that for design and creative pros having actual backup files autosaved is the standard, you geniuses decided to skip that whole thing? So the only time we have access to an "auto-saved" file is a full crash>restart? I'd like to meet the fcking genius who decided that was all we creative pros need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The auto-save option saves the file in its original location, AFAIK. Beside that there's a function that attempts to save the open files when the application crashes. So if you have the Auto-Save option turned on then your copy should contain all the highlights and other changes you made to it the last time it was (auto-)saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you dont catch it when it asks then sorry for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is a few years old now, but sadly it's one of the few that come up when searching for this problem. I couldn't agree with chestrockwell3000 more. Unbelieveable. Not to mention all the mentions of a backup of any kind seem to only reference C drive directories and therefore are Windows miopic. However, on the Mac, I was just able to find a *.tmp file hiding that I was able to open in TextEdit, and sure enough all my text is in there. There's a ton of line code to edit out, but the actual writing I did is in there and I can, with a lot of editing, gather it together, so at least I don't have to re-write it, or all of it anyway. Depends on how much was saved before Acrobat took a dump. For the Adobe tech geniuses, I literally just hit Cmd+S to save, and the file crashed. I was entering text into a form field when it bombed. I'm running Mac OS 10.15.4, and using the latest Creative Cloud so whatever version of Acrobat DC that is, v20.0 according to the CC menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My acrobat just crashed ... looks like Autosave is off by default?  That sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you give me any general hints how to find that *.tmp file? literally the exact same thing happened to me just now. outrageously frustrating. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates since then? i just burned 3hrs...and oops computer crashes (windows 10) and I have to do that all over again. 

still can't find temp files easily?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Would you be able to tell me more specifically how you found the adobe file in the temp files.

I am desperate to locate this file and having no luck so far.

Thanks kindly,

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-save works quite well in Bluebeam Revu.  Commenting is also much better for architects and other design pros who deal with constructed objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is highly rxtarded. It's literally 2024 and despite the autosave feature saving every 10 minutes and forcing me to take a 3 minute break whilst it saves everything. I can't actually access it? And it's not saved anything. That's ridiculous. Subscription cancelled. Adobe is worth billions and not a single person thought see this thing that causes workers to stop working let's actually make it worth their while. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this, gentlemen, is peak engineering in Adobe.

can't even code a proper auto save in 2k23, jesus.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Users\<Users>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines