• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic opening of pdf files after download

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing is bothering me because I tried to look up for support, I tried re-installing Chrome, Adobe Reader and also installing an other PDF Viewer program, but every time I set the app as default app for the .pdf format the downloaded file is instantly opened even if I don't want to. I also tried previous versions of Adobe Reader and it didn't work as well.
I really need it to stop because I have to download a lot of files for University and I don't want to be forced to close these windows every time after the download.

What can I do? Also, I would rather not change browser as I don't want to re-insert all the passwords and favourites again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Hello Kryv,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, there is no such settings/preferences in Adobe Reader, which will enable auto-open of any PDF file when it is downloaded.

Are the PDFs are auto opening in the browser or in Adobe Reader? Try disabling/clearing the auto-open option in the advanced settings of Google Chrome.

If possible, reset the browser to its default. Note: Before resetting the browser to default, make sure you take backup of the bookmarks, saved passwords, links, personalize setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kryv,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, there is no such settings/preferences in Adobe Reader, which will enable auto-open of any PDF file when it is downloaded.

Are the PDFs are auto opening in the browser or in Adobe Reader? Try disabling/clearing the auto-open option in the advanced settings of Google Chrome.

If possible, reset the browser to its default. Note: Before resetting the browser to default, make sure you take backup of the bookmarks, saved passwords, links, personalize settings and other settings. Import bookmarks & settings - Google Chrome Help

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

What is the version of the operating system installed? What is the version of Google Chrome browser installed?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PDF files automatically open is Adobe, not Chrome.... sooooo, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This took me a while to figure out! Just make sure when you select your printer, you choose "Adobe PDF" and not "Save as PDF"  Both of these selections will save the file in a location of your choosing, but only the "Adobe PDF" will automatically open the file in Acrobat Reader. This is not a setting in Chrome or Edge; this is a Windows feature.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't change the download in a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is 4 years old, just wanted to add a solution for others searching. Once you click on the pdf to download, it should show in a download list for Chrome (recent downloads), right click on the pdf in that download list and select "Always use system viewer" As long as Acrobat is set as your default application for PDFs, it will load in Acrobat or Reader immediately after clicking on the download. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo! Thank you for posting this even it's four years later! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful! I was stuck on this as well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solving the issue for me consisted of going on the Adobe Acrobat Reader application > Menu > Preferences > General > "Open PDFs automatically in reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser" and unchecking this box 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your cocmment! I have been struggled for this issue for months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was EXACTLY what I was looking for to fix this! thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best, most accurate answer & solved my problem instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Adam. I was pulling my hair out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

I looked through almost every area EXCEPT  General .  You solved this and made it so easy.

You rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this worked but whenever I close the preferences window it reselcts automatically. Is there a way to save it so it stays unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing the user's preferences from the registry worked for us - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/pdf-downloaded-from-chrome-automatically-opening-.... Hope this fix works for you too.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing and great answer. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an account just to say THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the only one who doesn't have this as an option under General????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that solved my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for this. I have been struggling for weeks. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this!!  Simple and no other good fixes were easily found.  Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive never been more thankful for a fix ...ever!  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines