• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can ARM folders be deleted?

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2.8 GB of ARM files on my computer.  They are located in C:/ProgramData/Adobe/ARM/ and are in folders from previous versions (Reader_10.0.1, Reader_10.1.4, Reader_10.1.5, Reader_10.1.6, and Reader_10.1.7,).  I need the space (it's a 40GB drive with less than 2GB free space).  Can any or all of these files/folders be deleted?

We are currently running Reader 10.1.7 and 2.7GB of the files mentioned above are in the folder "Reader_10.0.1"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

There were 1,668 folders whose path began with "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM\Reader_10.0.1\" each of which contain the files AcrobatUpdater.exe, AdobeARM.exe, AdobeExtractFiles.dll, and ReaderUpdater.exe.  Each of these folders are around 1,805,080 bytes.

Over all there were 5003 directories and 6645 files taking up 2,989,359,555 bytes! 

In a command prompt window, I navigated to "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM" and then ran the command "dir /s >arm.txt".  When I open it up in Excel, it is an astounding 18

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARM is Reader and Acrobat Updater.

This folder is for downloaded Updates.

After Updates are installed, ARM suppose to delete them.

All Reader Updates combined cannot be as big as you mentioned.

Can you provide a list of files that are there? Maybe just a names of a few biggest files should help to understand better what is going on.

You can delete the files - if Updater will need them again, it will re-download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were 1,668 folders whose path began with "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM\Reader_10.0.1\" each of which contain the files AcrobatUpdater.exe, AdobeARM.exe, AdobeExtractFiles.dll, and ReaderUpdater.exe.  Each of these folders are around 1,805,080 bytes.

Over all there were 5003 directories and 6645 files taking up 2,989,359,555 bytes! 

In a command prompt window, I navigated to "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM" and then ran the command "dir /s >arm.txt".  When I open it up in Excel, it is an astounding 18,326 rows long!!

So I did uninstall all adobe reader, adobe arm, adobe flash, and adobe shockwave programs.  Rebooted the computer.  Deleted those folders (all of which were still there).  And then reinstalled Flash and Shockwave.  They have Adobe Acrobat so Reader is not necessary.

All I can say is that I hope this was an isolate glitch.  I'd hate to think that Adobe ARM is taking up gigabytes on hundreds of thousands of computers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The information you provided is valuable - I will make sure that the issue is addressed.

If you could please answer a few more questions-

What is this operating system?

How many Users have account on this system?

Could it be that someone has changed permissions on the C:\ProgramData folder?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS is Windows Server 2008. There were 6 users, I think.  I'm sure no one would have change permissions intentionally.  Notice that most of the files are related to Reader 10.0.1.

I could send someone at adobe the directory enumeration like I was talking about if it would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris,

The only other thing that I would ask you at this point - can you pelase collect AdobeARM.log file from the User Temp folder? (each User likely has it's own Temp folder with its own AdobeARM.log file)

In the same Temp folder there might be AdobeARM_NotLocked.log file - please collect those as well.

It is best if you could Zip all those files and e-mail to me. I can provide you with my e-mail in the private message. There is no personal info in those files.

The files that you found left behind are all self-update files. Why they are not deleted is not clear. Hopefully log files could shed some light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, like I first mentioned, the space issue was critical so once we

uninstalled the Adobe products and rebooted, we deleted the ARM folder and

everything that was in it.  The next time I’m there, I’ll review the

storage in that area and see if it is happening again.  If it is, I’ll let

you know.  What is your PM address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe ARM log files (i.e. AdobeARM.log and AdobeARM_NotLocked.log) are present in the %temp% area for each user.

In all probabilities, you would have only deleted the ARM folder (present in the C:\Programdata\Adobe location) and not the %temp% area.

Could you please collect the ARM logs from all the users and send it across to the email ID I have shared with you in my PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that folder as well, with many subfolders, but they are all empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost seven years since this question was posted, but Adobe is still trying to protect us against the evil of having extra free space on our hard drives. Here's a screenshot of my ARM window just now, showing more than 400 mb of space being used by various incarnations of Reader going all the way back to 2014.Adobe ARM folder + prop window.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and my machine also has 2.0G of historical ARM folders.  It's good to know that we are being protected from having unused diskspace for free in this fashion. :).  My operating systm on this legacy system is Windows 2012 Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent the last hour trying to squeeze space out of my C drive and now I found this gigantic 5.5GB folder. I'm so pissed off right now. Now I hate Adobe Reader even more.large_folder_Adobe_Reader.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"All Reader Updates combined cannot be as big as you mentioned"

Here I am with my 10.6 GB ARM folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"All Reader Updates combined cannot be as big as you mentioned" Here I am with my 10.6 GB ARM folder"

There have been a lot of updates since 2013. The last few posts have shown what is supposed to happen, with one download per update. I don't know about Reader, but the updates for Acrobat Pro DC total 26 GB. This is different from the original post, where something had gone haywire, and made thousands of folders for the same update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am with my 19GB ARM folder

Xestrta33085273y40x_0-1697964518046.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

consider this case, which was posted three years ago 

JLFoeHp.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow that's a slightly big arm folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it safe to delete the ARM folder or the Reader_20.xx folder inside the ARM? It's taking up at least 40 gb of space in my ssd too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines