• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I stop Adobe from opening on file save?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning documents, and the scanner software automatically saves the file as a PDF.  After saving, Adobe (I have Acrobat Reader DC) automatically opens the file - which means I have to close it to continue with my work flow.

Is there some preferences setting that will stop Adobe from automatically opening this file when it gets saved?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

As Test Screen Name wrote: Adobe Reader will only open a new PDF when it is invoked. When other applications (like scanning software) invoke the default PDF application, only then will Adobe Reader open such documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a preference setting, but it will be in the scanning software. There is nothing in Reader to make it say "aha! A new PDF! I will open!" It never does that. It only opens because another app tells it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

There is nothing in Reader to make it say "aha! A new PDF! I will open!"

Not sure about that.  If I save a Word doc as PDF, it also opens up immediately after save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Test Screen Name wrote: Adobe Reader will only open a new PDF when it is invoked. When other applications (like scanning software) invoke the default PDF application, only then will Adobe Reader open such documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM sure that Reader does not do this. (That is, Reader doesn't make it happen. Reader opens because another app asks it to).

For instance when using Export PDF from Word 365 there is a View PDF option just below the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the corrrect answer..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your print dialog box, click the Properties button. In the properties, UNCHECK the option that says "View Adobe PDF results.Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was the fix for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If saving an MS Word Doc as a PDF and you want it to stop automatically opening the file as a PDF once saved go to File > Save As > Brouse > selct 'PDF' in the 'Save as type' drop down menu > UNCHECK the 'Open file after publishing' checkbox. Once you do this it won't open the file as a PDF once saved.

Hope this is helpful!

Jonathan Luke Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue when doing Save As from Chrome. Here are the Chrome settings to turn that off

From Chrome go to Settings under the Hamburger menu
Advanced
Site Settings
Additional Content Settings
PDF Documents
Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome - Turn ON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem & I did all this that was suggested or at least tried some of it but my chrome options are not the same as suggested here. What else can I do? Its getting so annoying for every scan to open after being saved. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure whether Chrome has anything to do with scanning. Or are your files arriving from a web scanner?

Anyway, while it is counter intuitive, Acrobat Reader has nothing at all to do with whether Chrome opens downloads, you may get a more informed response in a Chrome forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines