• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't copy and paste text from pdf docs

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to Acrobat DC I can no longer copy and paste text from pdf documents.  Instead I get squares instead of characters.  Anybody else experiencing this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old versions adds -secured to the file name as default. Like the name change when you use the redaction tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yes, these are all scans, but he made them into PDFs. Why aren't they TRUE PDFs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no such thing as "true PDFs". PDF files can contain images, as well as text, graphics, video files, 3D models, etc.

The author decided not to run Text Recognition on the files, so the text in them is just an image. If you have Acrobat you can do it yourself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF with only pictures is often exactly what people want. Nothing wrong with it, except it doesn't fit your intended use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in charge of telling him what to do, so why can't you just tell me how to get him to scan it into a PDF so I can copy the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was already answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously it wasn't answered or he/she wouldn't be asking again.  Why are people so rude to people who have legitimate questions?  Please before anyone replies to anyone, make sure you are putting yourself in their shoes and know how frustrating it is to get help that actually works in their situation.  I think some people who know so much forget they too were once in a place that they didn't know it all and had to ask questions.  Hopefully someone was kind enough to really listen to the your questions and helped you without assumptions.  If you read all of ep2014 posts you can realize the problem they have and that they really haven't been given the help that is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should use the Text Recognition command in Acrobat, as I've stated earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I see is you talking about this text recognition command, you didn't give any instructions on how the person needs to implement it & to be clear, he doesn't have Adobe Acrobat, he's simply scanning docs in a scanner. He has almost no technical skills at all.

I've searched 3 times for the kws "text recognition" & I don't see any instructions.

Please provide me with the instructions.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First result in Google for "adobe acrobat text recognition": Convert PDF to instantly editable text, optical character recognition (OCR) software | Adobe Acrobat...

If they don't have Acrobat this forum is not the place to discuss this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not?  Obviously ep2014 uses Acrobat.  Why shouldn't he/she ask a question in this forum.  I think try67 is awfully rude and not helpful.  People come here not to be given opinions but to given help.  If you can't offer any constructive help than don't reply.  if you give constructive help you don't need to add your 2 cents worth of an opinion.  Everyone has every right to post their questions here. 

I also don't know why there is only allowed "Helpful" or "Like" that we can click on for a quick click to what we think of an answer.  It would help to also have "Not Helpful" and "Dislike" that we can click on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this forum is not about Acrobat. It's about Reader. And I never told anyone not to ask a question, only to select the correct place for it.

You'll also notice I've answered many of the questions posted above. When a question was asked about something that is very easily found online I provided a link to the official tutorial that explains it. I don't see how that is rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to do it with Adobe software you need to buy or subscribe to Acrobat. SOME scanners come with softwate that can do this, but you can’t assume so. In other software this might be called “OCR” or “optical character recognition”. Check the documentation for the scanning software If you don’t want to buy Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also facing same problem but with some pdf file how i can overcome from this problem. Please help because i have some important pdf file which i want to printout

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preference -> General
1. Check - Make Hand tool select text & images
2. Uncheck - Make Hand tool read articles

Joy007_2-1592585051194.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joy007  Brilliant. Now I can even copy text from signed documents. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines