• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select block of text

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to Adobe Acrobat DC and can no longer select blocks of text in pdfs. I have the select tool active, I am trying to select a whole sentence to highlight. I am using a pdf in which I have previously been able to perform this function. I am trying to place the curser at beginning of sentence and drag to the end of the sentence to select whole sentence before I highlight it.  I can no longer do this WHY? It's driving me mad.

Hoping someone can help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Hi All

I had exactly the same problem but I believe I found a solution!

Windows 10 64-bit,  Adobe Reader DC

Problem: I suddenly discovered that could not use the cursor to drag cursor over text within a PDF either. This prevented me from, e.g., highlighting, selecting and inserting a digital signature (which is executed by drag command).

And yes:   Select tool ACTIVATED.  Copy text ALLOWED in document security settings.

For weeks I tried all kinds of things - reinstalling, repairing. What bugged me i

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also can't select blocks of text using the select tool in Reader. This is a new problem. The PDF was created from a Word document, so it wasn't scanned. What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I had exactly the same problem but I believe I found a solution!

Windows 10 64-bit,  Adobe Reader DC

Problem: I suddenly discovered that could not use the cursor to drag cursor over text within a PDF either. This prevented me from, e.g., highlighting, selecting and inserting a digital signature (which is executed by drag command).

And yes:   Select tool ACTIVATED.  Copy text ALLOWED in document security settings.

For weeks I tried all kinds of things - reinstalling, repairing. What bugged me is that it DID work correctly at first on a brand new Windows 10 laptop. My other Windows 7 laptop was unaffected. I had to move to the other laptop to be able to perform the functions. Frustrating.

Today, however, I found an option here:

Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Sandbox protections

Enable Protected Mode at startup

UNCHECK this box, close Reader DC and reopen. Voila, drag function (and all its dependent commands) restored.

I hope it works for you, and that it works for all other users who have asked  a similar question on this forum, e.g. cannot select, cannot highlight, cannot copy text, cannot drag cursor, cannot insert digital signature, unable to digitally sign PDF

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that indeed seems to fix it. Security feature crippling functionality - not good, Adobe! I'd file it as a bug to be handled.

I found out that I cannot use protected view anyway, due to some nondescript compatibility issues (link to the explanation doesn't work)

So I figure I have to switch all these features off. Send me bugged PDFs now .

Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be another setting? I had the selection Tool capability last week and this week starting on Wednesday I do not. Adobe sure knows how to screw technical writers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this issue be fixed if using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC instead of Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou jonk.  You absolute star!  I've been getting so frustrated with this, as your clearly were.  Nothing fixed it - until your solution.  Why on earth does the default setting prevent you from highlighting text...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that even if you disable enhanced security, if Acrobat JavaScript is disabled, you won't be able to perform those actions either. In other words, you have to uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and "Enable Enhanced Security" on the "Security (Enhanced)" tab and check "Enable Acrobat JavaScript" on the "JavaScript" tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be thou blessed! I was going crazy on this. I Have no idea what this protected mode is for so I presume I will live with the option Enable Protected Mode at startup off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) and UNCHECKING Enable Protected Mode at startup and closing Acrobat and reopening it worked for me.

Thank you so much for figuring this out. Since updating Acrobat DC I could no longer select more than one word at a time in PDFs. This has caused me a lot of grief. So happy I can once again select more than one word at a time in PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me also however my IT departement constantly upload and updates software and setting information. I have to do this every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution does not work. I am dissappointed with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the only correct solution to this problem!!!!  Thank you, worked right away!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add, if you don't close the program after doing this and reopen, it will not work.  Also hit Enter to leave the page, do not just X out or the change will not save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!  This was driving me crazy and every time I sought an answer someone would try to explain OCR to me and not believe me when I said that wasn't the issue!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I believe you have found the answer. Using Adobe DC and havent been able to highlight text for several days until today I was done dealing with the bs and I searched for a remedy and found your answer. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked "Enable Protected Mode in Security (Enhanced). It doesn't work for me. There must be something else ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is aupposed to be the correct answer. Well, it isn't. Unchecking "Enable Proteced Mode at startup"  (then close and re-open Adobe Reader) doesn't change anything. Which means that there's somewhere else that makes the text non-selectable. 
Well, this is too strange. No one in the Abode team or among the people who are expertes in PDF  structure can suggest a workable solution or alternative solutions, one  of which can work, or at least the reason(s) why text selection is impossible??
This is really, but really  strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alkis309764196gdw ,

Is this happening with every PDF files that you attempt to work with or just one particular PDF document?

Would you be able to share a copy of a dummy PDF file with no sensitive data on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ls_rbls, it is happening esp. to this PDF. (Maybe to some other too.)  Normally there's no problem in text selecting, highlightng etc.

(PDFs in which the text is stored as image(s) are of course excluded.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines