Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot insert PDF objects into a Powerpoint

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm having a problem I cannot find the answer to.  We have a few new HP ProBooks that I've recently staged.  As part of the installation, the laptops either have Office 2007 or 2010, and Adobe Reader X.  In a new PowerPoint file when I try to insert a PDF (Insert Tab->Object->Create From File), I get the following error:

"The Server Application, source file, or item cannot be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application."

Previously, I got this error when choosing "Create New" from the Object menu also, but following the instructions about Protected mode at the link below seems to have resolved that problem. Unfortunately, Create From File offers the 'link' functionality that is important to me.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html

I have tried removing our virus scanner (Symantec Corporate AV 11), and HP's Privacy Manager, then performing a Repair installation of Office. (both those items seem to be occasional culprits in problems similar to this) I haven't had any luck getting this to go away yet though.  I was hoping I might find some help here, thanks!

-Brad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

The problem is the protection mode of Adobe Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue.  I am on XP running Office12 (Office 2007).  Interestingly enough I just upgraded to Acrobat Reader 10 yesterday and this is the first time I have seen this problem.

I emailed the two files to a colleague who has the same OS, same Office version, and on an older version of Acrobat Reader and they were able to attach the file without issue.

Possible Reader X problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding your voice. I know this has got to be an issue for more people. Hopefully we can get some attention directed towards this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another data point, I worked with our support organization on this.  They were running Win7, Office 2010, and Acrobat Reader 9.  Could attach files (PDF in PowerPoint specifically) without issue.

They upgraded to Acrobat Reader 10 and started getting the exact same error.  This is a problem due to Acrobat Reader 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the protection mode of Adobe Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't disagree.  Disabling Protected mode allowed me to insert a PDF, but only as "Create New", when I select "Create From File" I still got the error...

Let me correct my post mid stream. It did that yesterday, but now the behavior is gone. Perhaps a reboot after disabling protected mode is called for? Disabling Protected mode seems to have solved the problem, the effect just wasn't immediate for me. I'm not sure why.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html

Disable protected mode manually by choosing Edit > Preferences > General tab and deselecting Enable Protected Mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried disabling the protected mode.  rebooted and ran repair on office 2010 but still am experiencing the same error.

Win 7 64, office 2010 32 but also on XP Pro with office 2010 32.  Maybe a registry key to kill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround to this would be to try the following steps on Power Point :

Insert - Object - Create new and choose "Package" as the object type in the drop down - Browse the file and insert.

Best,

Rafeel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rafeelm, 

Thank you so much , your solution resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great! many thanks for this! works perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have an option to create new and choose 'package' when trying to insert an object. Where are others finding that option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines