• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer attaching PDF sign to a .fir file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.FIR file is a Canon firmware update, on canon site no pdf, just .FIR. When bringing to my computer Adobe is adding a PDF sign to the  .FIR file and I cannot update my Canon camera  (R7).

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @canoniser,

Hope you are doing well. Sorry for your experience with Acrobat Reader.

Have you tried right-clicking the file-> properties-> opens with-> search for the application you want to open it with and then clicking Apply-> OK?

This should switch the default application for opening .FIR file from Acrobat Reader to the Camera's app for successful software updation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open file, prop, open with- because the properties are gray in zip file or after unzip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@canoniser You can visit the given link to learn more on how to: Change default programs in Windows - Microsoft Support

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried and didn't work.

I think I found why: in the default app to open a file :  beside the   .FIR I can see the Adobe Reader sign where nothing should be there. Now have to try to remove that PDF prefix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icon on your FIR file does not matter at all because you MUST NOT try to open it. You might see a PDF with instructions, and a FIR which must only be used by the camera. See https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/firmware/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cameras cannot read these files. I now have 2 cameras to update, and the same problem with both, I load the memory card containing the  Acrobat sign and .FIR and nothing happens. Right now I think I will remove all the Adobe programms, try to load my 2 .FIR files to the 2 cameras. I don't have anything to loose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you put the card in, do you go to the settings menu, then follow the instructions in that article?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the last 10 years i probably made a min. of 15 Canon updates and I am pretty sure none of them contained a pdf sign. I had to make one attemp and it was finished.

Excuse the english, I am a 70 years old french man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines