• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying from a pdf file in Greek

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a word list for school, and in it are different words in Greek and their translations. I'm trying to copy the Greek words (or basically the entire file) so I can paste it in an easier learning environment (e.g. Memrise). However, every time I try to copy these words, the letters are changed to their Roman counterparts.

For example, "εχω" becomes "e[cw". I am copying a text that contains both Roman and Greek characters, but if I only copy a single Greek word this also happens. I can copy texts from the internet just fine, so it most probably has something to do with the reader.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat. Does anyone have any idea why this happens, and how I could prevent it?

Thank you for reading and any effort.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

The file will be using a special font that has Greek letters in the place of Roman ones - very old fashioned, because fonts now should use Unicode. Probably no way to fix it but if you can get hold of the font (it might still be for sale) you could apply it in Word with the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file will be using a special font that has Greek letters in the place of Roman ones - very old fashioned, because fonts now should use Unicode. Probably no way to fix it but if you can get hold of the font (it might still be for sale) you could apply it in Word with the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be the issue, playing around with the fonts in Word does turn the text into Greek text again. Too bad that also means I can't copy them as Greek symbols into a blank text file. Thanks for your answer, at least now I know I won't be missing a much easier solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution for this, though it's a bit chunky I guess better than nothing. 

1- Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat
2- Save it as TIFF. If it has lots of pages, better save them in a folder because each page will be saved as single image.
3- Create a new PDF in Adobe Acrobat from multiple files. Select all the TIFF images and combine. Save as PDF.
4- Open the new PDF. Go into Edit PDF mode. If you see a notification about language automatically recognized as Greek, that's it. Now you can select and copy the Greek words, they'll be pasted right. However, you gotta keep the Edit PDF mode open, cause somehow it only works like this.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will not work with Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me, I'm able to copy the Greek words as original now. 

The logic is converting text to image (to get rid of the problem with unicode). Then converting the image back to text (using OCR in Acrobat). You can probably try the same process with different apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines