• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not be open the file because it is either not a supported file type or the file is damaged

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes when i'm trying to open pdf files from my USB, it gives me a message saying Adobe Acrobat Reader "could not be open the file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

strangely, this has also happened when i tried downloading an Excel version of a PDF. i fully scanned my entire USB with my Norton Antivirus, where i was told i had no virus in there, and also tried uninstalling then reinstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader yesterday. for some reason, it seems to mostly happen with PDFs possibly larger than 1000KB, though i did get the same message when i tried opening a PDF at around 600KB. even stranger, when i tried downloading PDFs larger than 1000KB from a website whose name i can't remember right now, they opened up just fine. these files seem to open after i download them but, in most cases, when i eject my USB and then put it back in, they throw error messages saying they can't open.

could someone please help me figure out what's going on so i can download and view PDF files properly that are above 1000KB without these error messages?
TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Download and install , General troubleshooting , PDF and browsers , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader can't open XLSX files, or any other format, except for PDF. Use Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesn't quite answer my questions regarding the other error messages with the PDF files, as i have detailed in the above message and in the images i provided

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open these files in a plain-text editor (like Notepad). What's the first line you see there?

And the file-size has nothing to do with it. PDF files can be much much bigger than 1MB...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from what i can see when i view the Notepad for the PDFs that actually do open up without any sort of error messgae, it looks like i'm normally supposed to get something like %PDF-(1.3-1.5) on the first line. when i opened the PDFs with error messages in Notepad, i either get a blank Notepad file or it crashes since they won't respond.

this also doesn't appear to be exclusive to just these files alone, but rather any large PDF file that i download and view or possibly any PDF that i download, at least as far as i can guess regarding Notepad.

like i said, i don't know what is going on but i've never had any sort of problem with downloading and viewing these types of large PDF files until recently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a hardware issue with your USB drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not quite certain why there would be a hardware issue. in the images i provided above, i fully scanned my USB multiple times with my antivirus and found absolutely no viruses. furthermore, my USB was not even anywhere near maximum capacity as it only had around 8% of it's space taken up in total.

i don't quite understand what could be wrong with it when it should be working just fine, at least theoretically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually wait, after retracing my footsteps, i remember a few days ago that i just downloaded a huge ZIP file (1.05GB) containing a collection of all my photos from my Gmail account and then i started seeing these error messages pop up whenever i opened these PDFs shortly after. once i extracted my ZIP file to a folder and then deleted the ZIP, all those PDFs started working again, even after i safely removed my USB and then opened them again after putting the USB in, which would usually be when they crash

as incredibly relieved as i am to see the PDFs working again, i don't understand how it was my large ZIP file that was the cause? i scanned the entire breadth of my USB drive and found absolutely nothing. and it couldn't have been because the ZIP was large because i had other ZIPs that were even larger than that one and my PDFs worked just fine before. so why would all my PDFs start working again as soon as i deleted that particular ZIP file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is there are some bad sectors on the drive. Try running Windows' Error Checking tool on it and set it to automatically fix such sectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This issue has nothing to do with viruses or drive capacity. Any storage device can suffer hardware failure, where all or some of the sectors in it become inaccessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you copy the file from the USB drive to a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines