• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Hide Navigation Pane On Left Side Acrobat Reader DC

New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to have files open without the huge navigation pane open on the left side. It's messing with previews in Solidworks PDM. This meaning I want ALL PDF files to open and NOT HAVE TO CLICK THE SMALL ARROW to hide the pane ON EVERY SINGLE DRAWING. Here are some snips.

What opens like now:

How we want it to look by default (without having to click on every file):

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Finally after hours of searching, i have figured it out by manually trying all the registry keys related to adobe one by one.

This is the solution that works 100% (todays date 10/20/17)
Using Adobe Acrobat (Pro), versionL 10.1.16

Open notepad.exe

copy this code and save-as no-navpane.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Acrobat.exe\shell\Open\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Acrobat 10.0\\Acrobat\\Acrobat.exe\" /A \"navpanes=0\" \"%1\""

Where you see Acr

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect solution. 100% invaluable. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry hack solution still works with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC v2020.009.20067.

It's sad that we're forced to mess with the registry for this functionality. It should simply be an option provided in preferences. I NEVER want to see the bookmarks and tools panels open when I open a document for viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a Windows solution, and it's crazy that you need a registry hack for a feature that's obviously part of the user interface.

But what's a solution for Apple OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this - and don't get me started on how outrageous it is that this isn't simply a preference we can easily change. Adobe is really frustrating like that and fingers crossed someone reads this and changes the App for us. I just want to share what I did, since I'm using a paid version of Acrobat Standard DC through my company. We prepare tax returns and so you can imagine we are opening thousands of pdf documents a day and this pane popping up basically ruins my day.

I changed 3 and it eventually worked - using a current version of Acrobat Standard DC in July 2020. To change each one simply open to edit it in RegEdit and just leave the default path and remove the "%1" at the very end and replace with:      /A "navpanes=0" "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Acrobat.Document.DC\shell\Open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell\Open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.7\shell\Open\command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DannyVee89! This worked perectly for me and I'm using the latest Acrobat Pto DC via CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: typo

Acrobat Pro* DC

-why can't I edit my reply directly? smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you! I changed only the first two.

For the total newbies like me: 

1) Open Registry editor

2) Navigate to the locations starting with "HKEY_..."

3) Right-click on the files -> "change"

4) remove the "%1" at the very end and replace with:      /A "navpanes=0" "%1", just like written above in DannyVee89 s post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DannyVee89, just tried this on my computer, and for anyone reading this in the future, I can confirm this works just as intended, as of 15th May 2022. 

The version I'm using is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2021, on a 64-bit Windows 10 laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for contributions - 

As a user of:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (current version 2022.001.20142 64-bit)

I had to access the following reg key:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Acrobat.Document.DC\shell\Open\command

and make the same value change from:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" /A "navpanes=0" "%1"

hope that helps somone

To clarify this is to prevent the navigation pane on the left containing the bookmarks from opening by default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need a solution that doesn't require reg key changes, this is for work computer and we don't have access to registry. The "restore last view settings when reopening documents" does nothing. So sick of having to manually close the side menus every time I open an docutment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you AkanchhaS and harryyoud!

I concur with ekeppel, harryyoud's registry change did just the trick, and it should be the new "Correct Answer" for the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC.

And Akanchha's suggestion is great for auto-hiding the right-hand panel (RHP) at startup with this version of Acrbat Reader DC.

I read a lot of PDFs for my Master's program and for entertainment purposes, so closing the LHP and RHP each time has become incredibly agitating. I am glad that I found the solution to automatically hide both at startup through this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great!  Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works, version 2021.005! Thanks alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Having that giant Bookarks pane open by default with every document is a major annoyance. When I open a document I want to see the document and nothing else. If I want to seex an index or bookarks I can always open them by choice. Either fix your uselessly "helpful" view or at the least put an option to keep the Bookmarks pane closed into your program defaults. Making ME do it manually with every stinking PDF is IRRITATING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear to me that Adobe doesn't want anyone to use Reader anymore. I guess they want to stop supporting, so they make it horrible tp use. I finally had to switch to a 3rd party viewer because I can't edit registry keys on my work laptop. When you open 100 of these a day it gets old to keep closing the bookmark. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What viewer?
I also got sick of this behavior, most solutions don't work/don't apply but I still use this for compatibility reasons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! This has been driving me crazy.  Your solution worked PERFECTLY!!!

Appreciate it SO MUCH!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The  /A "navpanes=0" "%1" fix doesn't work for us on Adobe Reader DC v21.001.20149

We can get the layout we want using the setting Preferences -> Documents -> Open Settings -> "Remember current state of Tools Pane", which will open Adobe Reader with the Tools Pane hidden if it was hidden last time you had Adobe Reader open, but we are in an enterprise environment so we need to have this set by default with GPO or registry so this isn't practical.

Also, this only affects the Tools Pane and not the other panes, such as the Attachments Pane on the right. This is stuck open for some of our users and they have to hide this manually EVERY time they open a document, regardless of having "Remember current state of Tools Pane" or even "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" is checked.

AOD5C71_0-1621499522952.png

Has anyone found a current solution to hide all of the side panes in Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work.    Adobe, fix your bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is, indeed, frustrating as hell. The best option I've found is hitting the F4 key. This quickly gets rid of (and brings back) the bookmark pane, but I have to do it everytime I open a document. For me this is better than clicking around with the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The command code of modifying registry key as follows:

Reg Add "HKCR\Acrobat.Document.DC\shell\Open\command" /ve /t "Reg_Sz" /d "\"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe\" /a \"navpanes=0\" \"%%1\"" /f

The above command code is provided for your reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines