Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default save location in Adobe Reader XI

Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I use Adobe Reader XI very frequently at my job. I save a lot of PDFs that are sent via email (Outlook desktop client). However, Adobe Reader XI's default save location is in my temporary files. Every single time I save a PDF - and I can get up to 100 a day - I have to go search for the folder I want to save them in. Is there any way at all to change the default save location so it's not in my temporary files? It's incredibly annoying and wastes a lot of my time.

Things I have tried:

• Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Add Folder Path
  • Edit > Preferences > General > Uncheck "Show online storage while saving files" box (It wasn't there)
  • Edit > Preferences > Documents > Uncheck "Automatically save document changes to temporary file every _ minutes"

I have searched through the Adobe forums and found many people with similar questions and none with no definite answer. Does anyone know how to fix this? Adobe doesn't seem to care very much.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

The definite answer is no, it can't be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The definite answer is no, it can't be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, so this pretty much sucks then.  I have the same issue and I spend a considerable amount of time changing the default save location to a drive that is backed-up, never mind a particular folder.  Adobe needs to spend a few pennies to give us this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So apparently it is possible, as long as you don't listen to "try67" here are the instructions.

yes it is possible!

Go to Printers in Control panel

right click on "Adobe PDF " printer and go to "Printing preferences"

go to option of "Adobe PDF Output folder " select any folder you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolute nonsense. This has nothing to do with the question asked above. Reader doesn't even come with the "Adobe PDF" printer, and the question was not about using it anyway, but about saving the file directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense? Funny enough it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kindly stop posting inaccurate responses to users questions.  I don't even have an "ADOBE PDF" in my Control Panel > Printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me on acrobat 2017.  I understand the question was about reader, however helpful is well 'Helpful'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works for me every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have an Adobe PDF printer listed with my other printers.  I was able to change the default save location to my document folder.  I tested by closing the devices and printers folder then downloaded an adobe (.pdf) file from the web.  I and then proceeded to save the doc.  The default folder to save to, is my document folder, which is where I wanted the default to be.  For me, this was the solution that worked for me.  Thank you nelsb68561879, for posting this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, followed nelsb68561879's instructions and that has resolved the issue of having to complete multiple steps to save a document. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you nelsb68561879!  That worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also works if you have user who would like to save to last saved locatioin by using the "recent" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked with me! But not with my workmate..? Strange! 

I think there must be more than 1 setting.. I'm googling since yesterday because of this problem. 

What I noticed is that my workmate has a different Adobe Version than me.I have 2015 and he has 2019. That can maybe also be a problem. What I exactly know is that Acrobat had 1 or 2 years ago "pre-settings" and also "settings". But now you'll only find "settings" and I believe this also a big problem. Because to change the default saving place I think you need exactly these pre-settings what is missing now why ever??! In German, we call things like that "Verschlimmbesserung" which means try to make things better but make it worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader has only Preferences, no pre-settings or settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also find this to be an issue - can Adobe support save to last location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For product Acrobat Reader - no edit menu... Is save as to location set-able?  Want it to be where opened from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running into the same issue where I wanted my 'Save As' to default to where I put the files. Did not appear to be an option so I found a work around where I added a Shortcut in my 'Documents' folder (where Adobe was defaulting my 'Save As' to) to the destination folder where I wanted the actual files to end up.

I still have to click that Shortcut each time I 'Save As', but it is only 1 click vs. several each time and has saved me lots of time and frustration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is EXACTLY what I did and it works BEAUTIFULLY! Thanks mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foxit Phantom PDF Viewer has this. 

File > Preferences > Documents > Preferred Save As Location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed the best solution, tried it and its doing what it should. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a useless feature: place your most used folders as "Alias" (Mac) or as "Favorite" (Windows) into the left side of the Finder window (Mac) or the Explorer window (Windows), and that's all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the PDFs are opening in your web browser first, change your browser download settings to a save as option.

nov1ce_0-1591747493167.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outlook is not a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank  you Felicity Davis!!!!  Made my day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines