• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Didnt set password, still my PDF file is asking for a password to open

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several PDF files that I used to be able to open, but now, they are asking for a password. I did not create a password for any of these files. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how do I resolve it? Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

I've seen this recently and it was fixed in Reader using a patch. Make sure you have the very latest update.

In Reader use Help>Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take your files to a Mac, open in Preview, export as a PDF and the password will be removed!

Might not be the best work around, but it works!! 👍🏼8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I'm on a mac. I can export the pdf but the password issue remains. I also can't go to print- save as...it only allows me to save as PostScript. I've tried Preview. I'm beyond frustrated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is beyond annoying.  Adobe Acrobat is almost worthless to me, as every document needs a password that I don't know.  The only workaround is to print the document and scan it myself.  A huge amount of unnecessary work. I really wonder why I paid for this program which does very little to help me in my business.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are these files from, Kathy?

And when does it ask you for a password - for example

- when you open it (so you can never see the file)

- after it is open for no obvious reason

- when you click EDIT 

- when you click something else

- some other time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example-documents from Forms Simplicity, a real estate program for agent. The document opens but the password request is when 'edit' is requested. Thanks!

Thanks!!

​Be Safe, Be Strong, Be Kind, Be Well. We are all in this together.

Kathy McDowell, P.A.
[Moderator deleted private information. Please do not post private information like e-mails and phone numbers]
I will never send wire instructions via email. If an email with wire instructions appears to be from me, it is fraud. Be very cautious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy, it's pretty sure that Form Simplicity is adding this password, specifically to stop editing. The web site says the software can set a password, but not how to turn it off. If these are just free samples, then it would have a password, I suspect, to make sure people want to buy - to stop editing in Acrobat... anyway, as a customer, I suggest you contact support for Form Simplicity and ask them. Technical and Customer Support & Help Center | Forms Simplicity (formsimplicity.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that. Thanks.

Thanks!!

​Be Safe, Be Strong, Be Kind, Be Well. We are all in this together.

Kathy McDowell, P.A.
[Moderator deleted private information. Please do not post private information like e-mails and phone numbers]
I will never send wire instructions via email. If an email with wire instructions appears to be from me, it is fraud. Be very cautious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, putting the pdf in trusted documents allowed certificate
protected documents to be handled like they should..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I created the files and did NOT apply a password. Sent them out for signature, now it wants a password the "author" created. They didn't create one, I didn't create one, and now my documents are basically worthless because Adobe applied a password nobody on earth knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this document in the trusted folder.? ( as configured in Adobe reader)
I had a similar problem using certificate encrypted pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a document I drafted out for signature. I didn't do anything to encrypt it and I didn't assign a password. It wouldn't send to one of the three people. The others came back passworded with a note that "the author" assigned a password. Well, I didn't and the people signing it didn't. But, they can't resolve it apparently. They want access to my system, but I can't do that at the moment, and I don't know why they still have no solution to this. They can't go assigning passwords nobody knows or I lose access. I got around it by PDF printing the signature pages into separate files and then combining the original uncorrupted file with those. So, this whole password thing doesn't even really work in the end if I can do that, but thankful that I could. I'd still like to know how it happened because I didn't do it and I can't be getting locked out of my own documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the people you sent it out to applied the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues, files I have always opened now require a password. What did you find to remove this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revisiting this for further attention and hopefully resolution.

The 7mb publicly accessible PDF listed here

https://www.sfmta.com/maps/muni-service-map

Can be opened via web, and via the Preview app on a mac, but when anyone tries to open it in photoshop for printing, it requires a password. I tried to export it as a PDF/A with no permissions required, but it still won't open in photoshop.

I am using an up to date version of adobe photoshop 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file link. This all seems to be working correctly. The file DOES have a password, see here 

TestScreenName_0-1652823186048.png

No password is needed to open. The password locks it from editing. Since Photoshop is an editor, it asks for the editing password. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME PROBLEM WTF?????? I CANT WORK ON MY FILES 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem's the same, then it's the same thing: someone password protected your file, deliberately or by accident, and Acrobat is working just as it's supposed to. You can use File > Properties > General -- Security to double check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, is there any solution to this other than physically printing the documents out and then re-scanning them in? I have inspection documents to combine for reports, and I can't combine files because Adobe THINKS there's a password attached. No one ever makes a password. I've talked to the software engineer that makes our inspection software and swears that DIS Inspect is not creating password protected PDF documents. I comb through the forum trying to find anything to that may help and find nothing. All I can see are tons of people complaining about the same problem. Can anyone point me in a good direction for a fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone, or some thing, did. This does not (and can not) happen by itself. The file is secured using a password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need proof this is not just something Acrobat "thinks", here's a screenshot from an independent PDF Debugger tool, that clearly shows the Encrypt object in the file (which is only present when the file is secured), along with the list of permissions set under it, which determine what is (and isn't) allowed to be done to it:

try67_0-1654286346199.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily see that this file has a password:

TestScreenName_0-1654285933195.png

It is used to block editing on the file. There are up to 2 passwords for a file: one is needed on opening, one is needed for editing. This one has only the latter. This may be a default setting in the software that makes it, and it might always be set, but a password IS being set. The password might be secret/unknown - yes some software really does this. This needs to be passed back to the engineer who makes the software that makes the PDF, because it is no use anyone saying there is no password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi is it possible to PLEASE post a simple answer to fix the issue of PDFs asking for passwords? This is really outrageous that so many customers are negatively affected by some product upgrade. We all need to get on with our work! HELP FIX THE PROBLEM YOU CREATED PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The people above aren't affected by an Adobe product upgrade. They are affected because files HAVE PASSWORDS which someone has put there. They don't want the passwords, but that doesn't mean Adobe have something to fix. If you feel you have a file that cannot have a password, please do the test above and post a screen shot: Open file; File > Properties. Security tab. Post shot of entire security window shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines