Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable automatic update to 64 bit Reader DC

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We've got some legacy software that is hard coded to run with the 32bit version of Reader DC.  We're finding that our software is automatically upgrading itself to the 64bit version, which causes our legacy software to fail.

Is there any way to disable this automatic update?  I've tried disabling the AdobeARMService, and it hasn't helped.

Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Hi @Laurel5E3D 

You set the below registry 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]
"bUpdateToSingleApp" Dword32 and set this to 0.

Setting this will ensure that only upgrade to 64 bit is disabled. Let me know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't need a link, since you clearly can see the post... !

But it is https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/disable-automatic-update-to-64-bit-reader-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this too.  I don't want to disable updates altogether, I just dont want to 'upgrade' to 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laurel5E3D 

You set the below registry 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

Setting this will ensure that only upgrade to 64 bit is disabled. Let me know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @amangupt 

Why we had to have the last 3 weeks of pain, it would have been nice that all the RDS are going to auto break adobe. Without warning and then keep doing that unless the system has all updates turned off.

Fingers crossed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work auto updated over night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hall Computer5FB0  I am not sure what's the exact workflow which you have tried. It might be possible that there are some stale registries on your machine causing the issue. I would suggest you use first uninstall the existing application. Then run the AcroCleaner tool ( or you could simply delete the entire registry hive for [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader] ). Then please install the 32 bit reader and before the first launch, run the above registry. This should fix your issue. If not, we can connect to debug the issue on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate delete the service AdobeARMservice from the service.msc

You can  use command promt commands to delete it. Use below command.

SC DELETE AdobeARMservice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working with current version? Tested on two different computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "fix" doesn't work.

I have to ask... what's the point of going out of my way to purposefully download the 32-bit reader when Adobe is just going to F me and update to the all in one 64-bit? I CAN'T USE THE 64 BIT. This is Infuriating!

Does anyone have an updated fix for this? I'm downloading reader EVERY TIME I NEED TO USE IT because this dumb program keeps "upgrading" me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nicholas28208919nasf  Have you the tried this registry : 

If yes, then can you please share a screenshot of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can't be a serious question. This is exactly what I'm replying too. Yes, I'm about to do it for the 4th time today!

Instead of forcing users into the windows registry editor. Why don't you properly fix you program so I can use what I intentionally download and install?

Do you have a different fix for this "upgrade" issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this post I did in case you have a GPO that is reverting your setting.
Mozzeh73

Mozzeh73_0-1675269877038.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this such a huge problem in 2023? I work in a medical setting and one of our critical pieces of software is not compatible with 64 bit. I've had to reinstall multiple times today, as I have every week for months, and I try every single thing that pops up in these threads. What kind of garbage management decision is driving these forced updates? It would be one thing if your registry hacks work, but they very clearly don't or we wouldn't have people digging these posts back up constantly. Just make the 32 bit only update to 32 bit and never upgrade. If we wanted 64 bit, we'd download it. It's pure incompetence that costs us literally hours a week. We're not going to renew our licences and move to another platform if we can't get a good resolution in the next month or two. 

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat the same registry hack. IT DOES NOT WORK. This is the kind of problem that was normal in the 90s. It is an utter disgrace to have this issue occurring for years in this age. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise, I have spent days trying to work out how this has updated to x64, we lost functionality of "BlackIce PDF" which is very important to our line of work.

I have then used SCCM to deploy x32 back to devices, but we now have duel installation of x32 and x64.
If only Adobe made a MSI removal tool so we could undo their mistake!!

Thanks for the reg keys I have impimented these into GPO to stop any repeat, but Adobe should explain why this happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dumb question since i am not an it guy.  is the registery entry for Dword32 that says to enter "0," is that decimal or hexadecimal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either, as long as the DWORD (32bit) is 0, but I always just use "Decimal" whe setting the value.

Adobe.JPG

 If you use GPO you can drag these (attachments) into the reg key to add the required keys, these will stop it changing to x64 edition and block the users from updating from within the application.
GPO - Computer Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Registry
It will then look like this:

Mozzeh73_0-1634912317772.png

Thanks
Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 0 is always a 0, no matter if you are using de decimal, binary or hexadecimal.

Hugo24511571vyqw_0-1652911789589.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thank you.  when going back in, it will not allow me to select decimal.  it is set as hex.  we will see if it works.  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run regedit as administrator and it will allow you to edit it.
However as long as the value is 0 then the update option will be missing in Adobe

Mozzeh73_0-1634913300284.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt appear to work anymore. So far i have had 1 server do the update ignoring the registry entry that i have had in there for a month or two

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this... please fix it @amangupt 

We need to urgent disable the x64 version as we have multiple problems on older clients while only viewing and on newer clients while printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@edv-km  can you please share a screenshot of the registry so that we can check whether it is created correctly or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines