• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to disable automatic updates in the Adobe Reader DC? It's not under preferences where it used to be.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is set up for continuous updating.

You can modify those settings via the Adobe Customization Wizard DC or the Windows Registry

For the Windows Registry setting look here:  Windows Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an IT Manager for my company and we use a software called DeepFreeze to put the workstations into stasis mode after they are setup. No updates are permanent unless we unlock the software first. So we have always disabled automatic updates to keep the computers from wasting time and computer resources. I exported the registry key with the AU off and can quickly "turn off" AU in the future.  But it's a bit presumptuous of Adobe to remove the controls from the preferences. At least they didn't remove "Check For Updates" under the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was successfully able to prevent Adobe Reader DC from updating using the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I too work in a public environment and use Deep Freeze. I also get tired of having to figure out certain registry entries in order to disable automatic updates for various programs and I refuse to use crappy customization tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tims48186235 wrote:

Hi all,

I was successfully able to prevent Adobe Reader DC from updating using the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I too work in a public environment and use Deep Freeze. I also get tired of having to figure out certain registry entries in order to disable automatic updates for various programs and I refuse to use crappy customization tools.

adding that registry key also gets rid of the "Check for updates" option in Adobe Reader DC.  no more automatic updates for Reader DC AND no more ability to manually check for updates.

forced automatic updates for Reader DC is much like the upcoming Windows 10 operating system.  Win10 will have automatic updates always on.and only Pro & Enterprise users of Win10 (not Core/Home users) can defer/delay automatic updates.

I'll use Sumatra PDF more often than Acrobat Reader DC but I'll keep both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, setting that key value to "1" will disallow automatic updates (or it may ask you when one is available), and it doesn't remove "check for updates".

Yet another alternative is blocking all outbound connections for the Reader program at the firewall level.

That can be done even with "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" (or any other firewall you might be using), by creating an outbound rule for "C:\program files\adobe\acrobat reader dc\reader\acrord32.exe" (or whatever your path/program name is (it is different e.g. for a 64-bit system))

Then, when you want to update it, you can turn that rule off temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-reader-dc-checkupdatesoption-gone.png

nope, St_Ranger.  Adding the "bUpdater" registry entry and setting it to 0 not only disables automatic updates, it also removes the "Check for Updates" option from the Help menu of Acrobat Reader DC.  Proof is in the picture - I took an image of this on my family's Win7 computer with Acrobat Reader DC installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, St_Ranger.  Adding the "bUpdater" registry entry and setting it to 0 not only disables automatic updates, it also removes the "Check for Updates" option from the Help menu of Acrobat Reader DC.  Proof is in the picture - I took an image of this on my family's Win7 computer with Acrobat Reader DC installed.

Please, pay attention, there is a difference between "0" and "1".

I wrote:

From what I understand, setting that key value to "1" will disallow automatic updates (or it may ask you when one is available), and it doesn't remove "check for updates".

I have it set on my computer and checked that "Check for Updates" is available.

In principle, there are several valid values of that key (something like 5), and if you search, you would be able to find meaning of the different values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should the registry entry look like this?:

Name             Type                   Data

bUpdater        REG_DWORD    0x00000000 (0)

If not how should it look exactly, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I found what APPEARS to be a simple way to disable automatic updates.  Windows 7, Adobe Reader X

In Adobe Reader X:  Edit | Preferences | Categories.

At the very bottom of the list on the left-had side is something called Updater.  It gives three choices, one of which is: Do not download or install updates automatically.

I hope it works.

In the meantime, I agree with all re Adobe high-handedness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This caused a shutdown of a computer I need to remotely access. I had to have someone physically go to the location to restart it.

This is TOTALLY arrogant and unacceptable behavior.

If we can't easily undo it, we'll pull Acrobat from our computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If we can't easily undo it, we'll pull Acrobat from our computers."

Looks like you'll have to do that.  But it's probably just as well since it will help out the competition like Foxit and Sumatra even further.  I've already done it, much like dumping Flash as well..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what did you replace flash with? I would like to get rid of that "Auto-Updater" parasite as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't.  I just dumped it.  The fact is smartphones and tablets can't use Flash and more & more websites are switching to HTML

A couple of years ago, I couldn't do this, but now enough websites have jumped on board that I finally got rid of it.  If you go to youtube and you are still using Flash, it will display your video in Flash whether you like it or not.  If you uninstalled Flash, then youtube will default to using HTML.  More and more websites are doing this using an auto-detect system.

You can still use Chrome if you have to use Flash, but for Firefox and IE, I don't need it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is Pepper Flash Player.

I am not ready to fully "endorse" it, but it's worth taking a look at it.

It it probably not available for Firefox, but only for the "chromium"-based browsers. Slimjet includes it by default.

A possible deterrent is that it is maintained by Google, - so there might be privacy issues (I haven't looked at that at all, - it's just a guess based on the overall desire of Google to collect information).

So, it's a "pick your poison" situation for when you need still need a Flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wholeheartedly agree with many on this post. As a software developer that has many PDFs open at many times, and can't just rebppt my PC when an app decides it wants me to, I need to be able to control when things update... I never let Flash update on it's own. But with Acrobat, frequently there are rebooting requirements, since you are forcing a reboot, we must be give control. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, thank you all for the directions. Done all that's been listed and will pull the plug on installing/running Adobe Reader DC in my family's computers and those of my company upon software maintenance.

Adobe does not seem to understand their reader is already one of the heaviest on resources, and annoying users with cumbersome procedures (it is, for regular users) will just enforce the stampede towards competitors.

In regard to accepting license agreements, noone even reads them, home users or system administrators. There is no negotiation of clauses or any sort of customization for anything the user does not agree with. For paid software it's even more dull, since the "contract" is presented AFTER purchase. That is why software agreements will never have any value to users. Though their acceptance may exempt Adobe and other developers from any legal claims, they just worsen user irritation upon mention. People want and have the right to easily manage what software is unnecessarily spending resources and devouring their 3G/4G data limits. Softwares that do not comply with that are subject to abandonment. In fact, the plain refusal of developers to attend to user basic needs (not to have this hassle, for example) is what starts the search for alternative applications. Should they just maintain things running smoothly for the user (you need updates for that, we get it, but we need to update only when it is convenient), the natural inertia would keep them using the software forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be free software, and Adobe can do as they wish with their software, and we have choices.  They are in a sense taking over the consumer computer, invading the personal space, with out of control software.  Automatic updates open the door for spyware and possible virus attacks.  If they put out an update that has an unexpected error, we will all be paying a possible price.  I would see them opening themselves up for a possible class action lawsuit which they will probably deny with their overblown user agreement.  The time has come for these software companies to hire better lawyers and reduce their user agreements to no more than 500 English words.  The choice is to use another of the many free options out there, my option will be to completely uninstall the Adobe software and label the company a purveyor of spyware, what else is in the software that is automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's near the end of 2015, and there is still no GUI for disabling the automatic updater?  Come on, Adobe.  Pretend that you have corporate customers that you give a crap about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing personal, but why would anybody in a good state of mind run a program posted by some anonymous person to a wide-open forum?

That's a recipe to have your computer "owned" by hackers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you have a lot of installed software which you don't know the developers. Am I wrong ?

Too, I haven't bought WinDev (€ 1.650 w/o Tax) in order to code some malwares ... Please be a bit realistic !

It is why the sources are given (CNU/GPL v2 license). But to read them, you need WinDev.

Here is a screenshot if you don't trust me ...

2015-12-30_18-58-40.png

You can test it too in a sandbox if you want !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@You convinced me!

Sorry, now, it is obvious to me that you spent 1650 Euro on this package in order to produce free Adobe-sh*t-disabler.

How could I miss that simple argument? Stupid me...

Well, I have a small excuse: you didn't post the purchase receipt... So, it could've been a cracked copy... But now that you've told me that you purchased it, I believe you.

And I believe you that the compiled .exe and .dll's came from that source.

I am not even wondering why such a simple program should be using several DLLs... (as opposed to a single small .exe file). You must be a great developer, since you own that expensive IDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinDev uses its own dependencies, it is why there are some DLLs.
If I want to diffuse only the executable file, you must install the framework, which is available here : http://www.pcsoft.fr/st/telec/windev20/framework20_WD.htm

That software was developed with the previous version of WinDev, not recompiled with the latest because no utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Never use a cannon to kill a fly." – Confucius

The same job can be done with a-few-lines of script using one of the built-in scripting methods in Windows (WSH (.vbs and .js), .bat/.cmd/.btm, .ps1, ...), without any expensive IDE.

And that script would be all-text, thus, very transparent.

Your desire to help others is commendable, but you need to learn the proper ways for the results to be useful and helpful. Those proper ways include thoughtful approach and appropriate technical tools.

Bonne Année!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JCF-MCC, Or, even individual customers. Adobe, are you listening? I don't want to be prompted to "upgrade" my functional copy of Acrobat Pro to a monthly paid upgrade to Acrobat DC each and every time I boot up my computer. Give us a way to stop this nagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of great ideas here, I see people mention Deep Freeze. I installed that for a bit but when the trial ran out I didn't quite have the money at the time for a license so I went with a free alternative, reboot restore rx. I use it to eliminate updates I don't want so you might want to consider it as there may be some updates that you'll want to install. I think if you turn it off entirely you might miss out on some really critical updates. Some food for thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines