• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Acrobat Reader support color management systems?

Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe products like Illustrator and Photoshop support color management systems.

But the Acrobat reader does not seem to support it, right?

I'm wondering if there is any support plan.

I do not want to hear the frustrating answer to using Acrobat Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, and any other good PDF viewer, will use the ICC profiles in a PDF file, and convert to the monitor profile for on screen display. There are no settings in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader to control this, it just happens.

If it DOESN'T happen we need to look at three things.

(1) What was the original colour source and how did you verify it?

(2) How is the PDF is made. Does it include an ICC profile?

(3) What is the monitor profile in the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Adobe Acrobat Reader indeed supports color management. If the documents look different, it is because the color preferences and/or viewing mode (such as overprint preview) are set differently.

(Also, FWIW, you should not try to have parallel installations of Reader and Acrobat or multiple versions of same of different releases on a single system. It is a recipe for “issues.”)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My display is only around 107% of sRGB gamut, so it is not wide gamut. The problem I think is maybe that the PDF is DeviceRGB and Reader is applying the display calibration profile to the working space, while Pro is maybe applying sRGB to the working space.

The reason why I think this is because the PDF with DeviceRGB has its transformation of colors in Reader looking similar to how it looks in PDF-Xchange Editor when I set working space to the display profile in the settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dov Isaacs wrote:

Adobe Acrobat Reader indeed supports color management. If the documents look different, it is because the color preferences and/or viewing mode (such as overprint preview) are set differently.

I uninstalled Acrobat Reader DC, then installed version 11.0.21, which displays correct colors.

So color management in Reader DC must be broken.

As mentioned in my previous post, the PDF file used in the screenshot was made in InDesign, with RGB images, plain text, and no transparency. It was exported as an interactive PDF.

For the record, I previously had Acrobat Pro 11 and Reader 11 installed together on two computers, and I never had any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm. Acrobat DC (even pro) doesn't handle colour management correct any more (on Windows 10). There seems to be a bug.
I can import the same pdf in Photoshop, which asks me wether to use the embedded profile or to skip the profile.
When I use the embedded profile the colours look as intended.
When I skip the profile (German Version: Eingebettetes Profil verwerfen) Photoshop shows the same false colours as Acrobat DC.
My old Acrobat 8 professional btw. has no issues regarding colour management.

I hope this will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Also, FWIW, you should not try to have parallel installations of Reader and Acrobat or multiple versions of same of different releases on a single system. It is a recipe for “issues.”)

By @Dov Isaacs

If you had read the posts of the other useres you wouldnt have written this...
And why is this again flagged as a correct answer?

There is a bug in colour managment of Acrobat DC on Windows machines with calibrated monitors which use not the windows icc profile for these monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines