• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading PDF attachments in email using Google Chrome

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently (within the last few days) I have all of a suddent not been able to open or save any PDF attachments to my emails when I access my email through Google Chrome.

I have AOL as my email provider, and the issue I am having (now) I am experiencing on both my laptop as well as my PC. I have only started having this issue over the last few days, prior to this, I was able to download attachments without an issue. Also I am currently not having this issue if I an accessing my email/AOL using Internet Explorer or Firefox.

If I receive a message that has a PDF attachment, when I click on the attachment, it does nothing (previously it would open a box and ask me where I wanted to save the download to). If the attachment is something other than a PDF I have no issue downloading the attachments, but in Chrome, nothing when I select it (I'll see a spinning circle next to the name in the "tab" for a second or two, but then nothing..).

Please note that I have tried a few things including selecting "reset" on Google Chrome, I uninstalled and reinstalled google Chrome, I unselected the google chrome plugin for PDF reader and selected the Acrobat plug in reader, I turned my computer off and on, I signed out and back into Google Chrome, I updated both Acrobat X as well as Google Chrome.Nothing that I have done has made a difference.

Thank you very much for any assistance, this is driving me crazy.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

1.First open the firebox press the ALT key in your keyboard once.You see the screen show you file,view & edit and then click the tools options.

2.you see the your browser pricey tab on top to the click clear your recent history options.

3.To click remove individual cookies (or) remove all cookies.

4.To click start search box internet options top advanced tab click the reset button.Check the box next new small windows screen click on.Finally click again close windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

I had the same problem but something juliand said prompted to me to realize that

any punctuation in the name other than an underscore does not work in the online version.

Have the files send as only letters or numbers.

When I had the client remove, (in this case a comma) in the name then it would download on any device.

I suspect when Juliand changed the name he eliminated the punctuation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.First open the firebox press the ALT key in your keyboard once.You see the screen show you file,view & edit and then click the tools options.

2.you see the your browser pricey tab on top to the click clear your recent history options.

3.To click remove individual cookies (or) remove all cookies.

4.To click start search box internet options top advanced tab click the reset button.Check the box next new small windows screen click on.Finally click again close windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I tried everything you suggested, but the problem still exists.... Please note, the issue I have been having I have had exclusively with Google Chrome as my browser that I have been using to access my email. I have NOT had the issue with Firefox (but I did do the steps you suggested to clear the history and cookies using firefox however I was not able to find the reset under the advanced tab.

Thank you for trying, any other suggestions? I cannot find a way to contact Google

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to work with pdf files within a browser, you will need to choose something other than Google Chrome for a while at least. Google Chrome does not support the Adobe Reader plug-in any more and uses it's own pdf viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've selected using their (Google Chrome) viewer, but it doesn't work either... It has been up until Tuesday this week, then all of a sudden it stopped being able to work.

I understand that it can't be viewed "through" Google Chrome, but why won't it let me even download the attachment???

I have Acrobat X so viewing the file won't be an issue for me, but it won't even let me download the PDF attachment to my computer...?

Thank you for your assistance!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case, it's either going to be a Chrome issue or something with your OS. Adobe Reader and Acrobat aren't involved at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had thought the same thing (it is a Chrome issue) based on the fact that it works with Firefox & IE. It seems only logical that it would be a Google Chrome issue based on that...

However, in speaking with Chrome customer service, they are saying it is something that is Acrobat related (I do not believe that). I also do not think it is an AOL issue since I can get the files on other OS platforms.

I'm only trying to do what I can to get this resolved.... I have not found others that are having this issue (I'm sure there are millions of other people that use both Google Chrome for their AOL email and they too receive PDF files...). I do not know why I am having this issue and why I am experiencing it on both my laptop and PC...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this. Might be helpful: Google Groups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked through all the suggestions (copy and paste the URL from another browser that works, I tried that with firefox and pasted it to chrome but still have the same issue, I signed off, on, off and back on and that did not work...

I'm getting desperate because I have to travel next week on business and I'll be using my laptop a ton and sending (and receiving) lots of file, Firefox is way too slow for me and I'm not a fan of IE.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question really is: do you want to download these attachments, or just view them in your browser?

To download, different mail services offer different options.  To view, see the above conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't download them any longer... (I also cannot view them, it will no longer allow me to do anything with a PDF attachment).

I would prefer (if I had to choose one) to Download them, that's the part of the equation I really need because I am not able to do anything with any attached PDF file. Right now I have to use another brand of browser (IE or Firefox) which I do not like as much as Chrome.

So far, none of the suggestions (including the links to other related problems have worked.

I have tried signing in and back out, clicked and unclicked plugins, uninstalled and reinstalled  Chrome, I'm not sure what more to do....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is old but I just came across the exact same problem with one of my clients. It ended up being the length of the file name of the pdf. I shortened the name and resent it to the client and he is able to open it on the AOL mail page inside of Chrome now like normal. Hope this helps anybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem but something juliand said prompted to me to realize that

any punctuation in the name other than an underscore does not work in the online version.

Have the files send as only letters or numbers.

When I had the client remove, (in this case a comma) in the name then it would download on any device.

I suspect when Juliand changed the name he eliminated the punctuation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines