• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill & Sign - 'The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error.'

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save the PDF with initials and signatures it throws up the error, 'The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error' and then gets rid of the signature attempt.

Anyone else encountering this issue trying to add initials and signatures in Adobe Reader DC on Windows 10? Getting the same error on two PCs, fresh installs of Adobe Reader.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but I also noticed that only 1 time did an Adobe employee come in to help. And it was crappy help at that. Better instructions and considerations to carry out those instructions would have been helpful. Thanks for nothing Adobe...it's 3 years later, and you still haven't got it right yet! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this same problem working from home and trying to add signatures to drawings.  The workaround I found that was successful was by clicking on the "Protect" tool in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and then "Remove Hidden Information".  Click on the "Remove" button that shows up on the left side of the screen and you can watch as it removes "Metadata, Bookmarks, Comments and markups and Overlapping objects".  Once this hidden info is removed click on "Close". 

At this point I was able to click on the "Fill & Sign" button and add my signature.  Not the best approach but it allowed me to keep working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy every living hell ... can I just tell you that I actually took the time to sign up for an account here just to thank you. I love when a random person can address the problem that has been talked about for over two years when an actual employee of the company that we all pay money to cannot or will not.

Thank you very much. Now I can get my absentee ballot.  So many facepalms ... have a great day and thank you again! 

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - yes this works. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This DOES work. I would add thought that after you close, you have to save before it will accept the fill/sign info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well.  Thank you for taking the time to share this workaround.  You're a genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For window 10 users, use Mircosoft to PDF, to recreate the PDF vs adobe and that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this to be the most helpful resource for getting access to signatures on pdfs again.

https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all an uncredentialled idiot wanted to do was take over my computer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have mutliple users in my organization get this error message while trying to fill and sign a PDF in Adobe Reader that I added form fields to. Why are they getting these errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Issue started today with a specific file.  Attempted to remove all protection but still did not allow the inserting of text or a signature.  Had to print to new PDF version and save it.  I was then able to add the signature.  I do not understand what would be causing this.  Any chance getting comments from somone within Adobe to chime in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines