• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help WORD SEARCH in pdf documents is not working.

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help  WORD SEARCH in pdf documents is not working.  I use Adobe XI Standard.  What can I do to restore this function?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Kind of hard to know for sure what's going on without a lot of info but one thing to try. Using the select tool, try highlighting an individual word in the pdf file? If you cannot do that, then there is no text to search for. It is a scanned image.

Using Acrobat Standard I believe you can run Optical Character Recognition to fix that but that is best taken to the Acrobat forum rather than here in the forum for the free Reader software.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of hard to know for sure what's going on without a lot of info but one thing to try. Using the select tool, try highlighting an individual word in the pdf file? If you cannot do that, then there is no text to search for. It is a scanned image.

Using Acrobat Standard I believe you can run Optical Character Recognition to fix that but that is best taken to the Acrobat forum rather than here in the forum for the free Reader software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not working" can mean many different things. Full details please. Can you select a few words in the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to five days ago I was able to search for individual words or phrases in Adobe (pdf) documents.  If the document was am image I was asked if I wanted to do an OCS scan.  To which I responded yes.  I had noticed a box to check if I didn’t want this question asked again.  Foolishly thinking that if I checked the box it would automatically scan the pdf image in the future.  How do I restore the OCS scan?.

Dennis Caputo

[personal information removed by moderator]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message may constitute a CONFIDENTIAL communication. It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If you have received this communication in error, do not read it. Please delete it from your system without copying it, and notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone, so that our address record can be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to five days ago I was able to search for individual words or phrases in Adobe (pdf) documents.
If the document was am image I was asked if I wanted to do an OCS scan.  To which I responded yes. 

Five days ago, I noticed a box to check if I didn’t want this question asked again.  Foolishly I checked the box thinking it would automatically scan the pdf image in the future.  How do I restore the OCS scan?. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you don't need the box to pop up. You can just open the scanned pdf file and go to All Tools>Text recognition>Recognize text in this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I think it happened after mandatory Windows updates but not sure. Can you provide more info on Optical Character Recognition ? Does it mean that I have to convert the file in the special converter for search option to start working again ? Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a stamp collector. I'm using the find function to find the stamp and get some particulars about the stamps. The find function works 95% of the time. The other 5% the find function does not find the word I as searching for.

In the below image, I can highlight a word which means adobe will find this word.

adobe1.jpg 

In the below image, when I try to highligh Damaster, I get a double line highlight and adobe will not find it.

adobe2.jpg

How can I get a single line highlighted? Any help would be appreciated since manually searching through 1500 pages to find 1 stamp is very tiring.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the result of creating a PDF from a page that was scanned at a poor quality and/or low resolution, and because of that the Text Recognition (OCR) process is not able to identify all the words in it correctly. Basically, unless you have access to the original pages and can scan them at a better quality, or to a better OCR engine, there's nothing you can do about it, especially not with the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines