• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable the comments bar from opening up automatically?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I disable the comments bar from opening up automatically everytime I open a pdf file?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Hi Peter, I had the same issue as well when I opened pdf drawings from AutoCAD. I solved it by clicking Edit and in the drop down menu click Preferences.

In the preferences window unselect Show comments pane when a PDF with comments is opened.

Adobe-Comment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Hi PeterW

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to close the comments bar from opening up everytime you open a PDF file.

Are you referring to the comment pane to concrete northern colorado  in the right hand of the PDF? If yes, please minimize the comment pane by clicking on the small arrow as shown in the screenshot and then go to Edit (Windows) , Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Documents > Select 'Restore last view setting when re-opening the document' Cl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PeterW

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to close the comments bar from opening up everytime you open a PDF file.

Are you referring to the comment pane in the right hand of the PDF? If yes, please minimize the comment pane by clicking on the small arrow as shown in the screenshot and then go to Edit (Windows) , Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Documents > Select 'Restore last view setting when re-opening the document' Click OK and check.

Untitled.png

Hope this will help, let us know if you are referring to something else.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PeterW

Are you referring to the comment pane to concrete northern colorado  in the right hand of the PDF? If yes, please minimize the comment pane by clicking on the small arrow as shown in the screenshot and then go to Edit (Windows) , Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Documents > Select 'Restore last view setting when re-opening the document' Click OK and check.

Untitled.png

Hope this will help, let us know if you are referring to something else.

Regards

Amal

By @Amal.

I have the same Issue when i start working on my projects of construction or other autocads these commenting process starts automatically. Now reading your thread i have  disable this, You made my work very easy. Thanks a lots.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I had the same issue as well when I opened pdf drawings from AutoCAD. I solved it by clicking Edit and in the drop down menu click Preferences.

In the preferences window unselect Show comments pane when a PDF with comments is opened.

Adobe-Comment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I unchecked the "Show comments pane when a PDF with comments is opened", then click ok. Opening up Preferences agin, it is automatically checked again. Why can I not disable this?

Under Preferences > Documents > I also have "Restore last view settings when opening documents" checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and what seems like a workaround for me is to first 

uncheck Preferences > Documents > I also have "Restore last view settings when opening documents" 

Save preferences

Then uncheck Preferences > Commenting > "Show comments pane..."

Save preferences

Then  go back and re-check Preferences > Documents > "Restore last view settings" 

Save preferences

Quit and reopen to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me only if I am closing a specific file, as opposed to the adobe application. 

If I make the changes like Josh, it will hold those preference choices across multiple files. I can close and re-open the same one without comments pane auto opening. But if I close the adobe application, then reboot it, it forgets those preferences and returns to its default of auto opening the comments pane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work.  I have done this a hundred times, and when I open Adobe again, the box is checked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. This only works as long as Adobe is open. As soon as the application is closed it forgets these preference settings. This is not an actual solution, which I am eager for as this is debilitating when working with contruction drawings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 24.01.20604 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution does not work.  My version of Adobe is 24.01.20643.  That box is still checked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur that Amal's solution does not work for Version 24.001.20643.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have tried to reproduce te issue at my end and its working fine.

Are you experiencing this issue only with the constructional drawings or with other PDFs as well? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

If its an issue with a specific type o file, please share the sample PDF file with us for testing.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it is not specific to a file, nor file size. Even a single page text only document marked up with comments will exhibit this behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. its really frustrating. stupid comments panel takes up a quarter of the window. Ive tried all the posted solutions and they dont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines