• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open a pdf without having to save the document?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of months ago, I was able to open a pdf on Google Chrome without having to save it. Now for some reason, my settings have changed and it asks me to save the document first before opening it.

I am forever saving pdfs to my desktop to view a pdf then deleting the pdf afterwards.

How do i just open the pdf without saving it.

Please note, I have tried doing the same thing on Internet Explorer and it does not ask me to save, it automatically opens. So, how can i do this on chrome?

Also, I have tried going into the settings and turning off Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome and it does not work still.

Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Chrome does not use Reader to view pdf files. It uses its own viewer so hopefully they can help in the Chrome forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a question for the Chrome forums. It has nothing to do with Adobe Reader, or any other Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a setting in Acrobat Reader that may be able to assist me. Someone in this discussion may know the answer. This is why I have started a discussion here as well as Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Reader plugin doesn't work in Chrome anymore, it has nothing to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome does not use Reader to view pdf files. It uses its own viewer so hopefully they can help in the Chrome forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude if that is going to be your answer then don't even reply.  No one needs wisecracks or self righteous posturing when they are facing a very aggravating situation.  The correct response is as others provided below.  You can state yours as well but also advise how to go to settings procedure outlined below and see if that helps.  By the way it does in Chrome also

thanks to those who provided the info below it helped me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox, and have (suddenly- in the past few months) had the same issue. It is NOT about Google Chrome; it is about Adobe.  I actually had no problem simply opening PDF's until I signed up for an account with Adobe.  Coincidence??

Not sure if this is their way of making people have to upgrade,and sign up for their additional $$ service, or what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Firefox and have recently had the same problem.  Here is the solution:

In Firefox:

1.  Click on the three parallel lines in the upper right corner.

2.  Click on the Settings option.

3.  Find the Applications settings.

4.  Scroll down until you see the Portable Document Forment (PDF)

5.  In the Action column, it will say "Save File."

6.  Click the down arrow, and either select "Use Windows Default Application" to always open with Adobe Acrobat, or   select "Always Ask" to see a list of options, one of which will be "Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY!  SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION AND ANSWERED IT!!!!!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! Still saves to hard drive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES - I recently ran into the same issue and it is driving me nuts.

It doesn't matter if you change the file settings to "always ask" or "open with default application" OR open in browser - it still downloads regardless. A huge nuisance since I deal with web-based pdfs all day and many contain forms which cannot be used with the web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help for you but I thought I would mention.  At the very bottom, after it asks specifically about whether you want to save a particular document, go to the very  bottom of the page, outside of that box, and on my screen it said, "What should Firefox do with other files?"  And I selected "ask whether to open or save."  I don't know if the checking of some boxes worked, or if checking that worked, but mine asks now.  I almost missed seeing that at the very bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me.  I had to go through it twice before it believed me, but it did work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU from me, too! Your fix was spot on. 🙂

Barbara A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why, but this solution doesn't work for me. File still saves to hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the FIX...... I have no clue how this changed by itself!! Glad to have it set back where it was!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This suddenly started happening to me, too in Firefox. Thank you @Gloria22776956bdp8 . For step 6 above I selected open with my Adobe DC and that saved the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! This actually worked. THANK YOU so much!!!!! Now, if I could only get the same help when using Chrome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to open a pdf without having to save the document-

Download Adobe Reader. This is a free program that can open PDF files so that you can read them. Adobe Reader can be downloaded from get.adobe.com/reader/. You cannot use it to edit or create PDF files.
To learn how to edit PDF files, click here. You can edit PDF files online also.

There are a variety of other free PDF reader programs if you don't want to install Adobe Reader.
Windows 8 comes with a PDF reader installed if you don't want to use Adobe Reader.

Decline the McAfee offer. When installing Adobe Reader, a box will be automatically checked to add McAfee to your computer. Most users likely will not want this, so make sure to uncheck the box.

Double-click a PDF file after installing Adobe Reader. For most users, Reader should open automatically, displaying your PDF file.

Enter the password if required. PDF files can be password-protected by the creator, so you'll need the correct password if one is required.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I am so glad to get an answer to this question!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem so hopefully this helps you.

Go to your settings for chrome and in the search box type "pdf"

It will highlight & guide you to Privacy > Content Settings >

Then scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck the box for "Open PDF files in default..."

--So now there is no check in the box.

This corrected my issue and hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Chrome in Windows 10.  Saving PDFs as opposed to opening them was driving me crazy.  I have Pro and Distiller installed and not certain which one the PDF was accessing to open,  I deleted Distiller and the PDF's open just fine.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. This worked for me!

MereBradley_1-1706711603042.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines