• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save a password protected file without a password?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone sent me a password protected file and I want to save it on my computer without the password.

Thanks,

Scott

TOPICS
How to , Security digital signatures and esignatures , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Hi Scott,

It is not possible to save a password protected file without a password with Adobe Reader, you would require Adobe Acrobat to remove the password protection. Even with Adobe Acrobat you can only remove the security if you are aware about the password otherwise you need to contact the Author/creator of the PDF to remove the security.

Regards,

~Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

It is not possible to save a password protected file without a password with Adobe Reader, you would require Adobe Acrobat to remove the password protection. Even with Adobe Acrobat you can only remove the security if you are aware about the password otherwise you need to contact the Author/creator of the PDF to remove the security.

Regards,

~Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the password to a PDF file, how do I remove the security setting so that I can save the document without a password??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Buy Adobe Acrobat.

2. Open in Adobe Acrobat.

3. Use File > Properties

4. Go to Security tab

5. Set Security method to None

6. Give password when prompted

7. SAVE the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is helpful.. I was needing to combine some statements into one PDF, but the password protection wasn't allowing me to do so. Using Acrobat Pro (on mac), File --> Export to --> Microsoft Word. Then I was able go back in to Adobe and combine the files. If you're not needing to combine files, and just want a savable document, using Adobe Reader, File --> Convert to Microsoft, and then you can convert to PDF - have not tried this accessing the document after converted again though. Worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader on its own can't convert a PDF file to Word, and anyway it won't work if the file has a file-open password. Acrobat won't let you do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah as I mentioned I use pro. But With reader I’m able to export to word,
so I dunno 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no longer the case. You do not need Adobe Acrobat Pro to do this in Windows.

Windows enables you to print to PDF after you have opened the original file using the password, whereby the password security is overridden and removed in the 'printed' document 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When needing an unprotected copy of a password protected PDF

Open the file – and on the left side open the Page Thumbnails – highlight all of them – Go to the top, right click the first one and select “Extract Pages” then ok (don’t check any boxes). Close out of there and hit save and it’ll ask where and then it’ll save them there for you……. all unlocked.

Hope this helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NWWolverine  wrote

When needing an unprotected copy of a password protected PDF

Open the file – and on the left side open the Page Thumbnails – highlight all of them – Go to the top, right click the first one and select “Extract Pages” then ok (don’t check any boxes). Close out of there and hit save and it’ll ask where and then it’ll save them there for you……. all unlocked.

Hope this helped

Not if you don't have Adobe Acrobat and are only using the free Reader. And if you have Acrobat, there are easier ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only suggeston that worked for me, given, knowing the password to open the doc than saving it with Microsoft print-to-pdf.  Thnak you, TY, TY...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the document and the use the print to pdf function which will create a copy of your file without the password.

You obviously have to know the password in the first place.

It is frustrating as a lot of statements that come as protected pdfs need to be sent to institutions as proof and there is no way without buying a full copy or using password removal software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Izakvdm  wrote

Open the document and the use the print to pdf function which will create a copy of your file without the password.

Also not possible without the full version of Acrobat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Izakvdm  wrote

You obviously have to know the password in the first place.

Not possible with Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bernd+Alheit  wrote

Not possible with Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Technically, if you have the password you could do it with Acrobat but if you have the password, you wouldn't need to. You would just remove the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat doesn't allow printing to "Adobe PDF" with a protected document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I mentioned needing the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

errrmmmm Yes it does.

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see the printer "Adobe PDF" in your screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Windows are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

print.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly relevant, we are talking about what we see in YOUR screen shot. Not the Adobe PDF printer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My humble apologies....was just trying to help and misread the posters response

The option is either Print to PDF or Microsoft Print to PDF

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If on a Mac, open with Preview and print to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines