• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do we stop Adobe Reader from asking "Do you want to save changes to '*.pdf' before closing? Yes, No, Cancel

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we open PDFs with Adobe Reader and then close them a pop up appears asking if we want to save the changes even when no changes are made. Is there a setting somewhere that will stop this from occuring?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JT,

That's a precautionary warning which appears only when you make some changes in the document and then try to close the document without saving it.

and No, there's no such option to turn it off.

Regards,
Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to both of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf file that's presenting in the same as above i.e. no user changes made but it prompts for save on exit, though only sometimes.  I can sometimes open and close with no prompt and other times I get the prompt.  Doesn't seem to be to do with how long it's open either. Sometimes it asks and I say no, other times it doesn't ask.

How do I diagnose what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faulty PDF I expect. But if it's faulty and you save it this should never recur. If it recurs for a saved file its something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Corrupt how?

How can this be diagnosed?

I get this problem with lots of PDFs and as you guessed, even after saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i reset my Acrobat reader back to asking me if i want to close current document  all?now it just closes all documents 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not making any changes yourself to the file and it still happens then it might be because the files are corrupt and Reader fixes them when it opens them, so they could be displayed despite the corruption. Another option is that there's a script embedded in the file that is executed when the file is opened and makes changes to it (to a the value of a form field, for example), so the file is considered to be "changed" by the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if it's even after saving, and if you reopen the SAVED file (not the same file from a web site, not the same file in an email!) then it isn't a faulty PDF. Maybe it's an embedded JavaScript doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK great thanks.

How do I get at the embedded js?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat Pro do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think JavaScript is a section under Tools. There's an Edit All.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work in Administration. I have to open and close hundreds of PDFs every day. There must be a way to turn of the 'do you want to save changes?' prompt? It would save me and millions like me so much time and effort.

Kind regards,

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the discussion above? That message appears if you, or something else, changes the file. To prevent it from appearing you need to find out what's changing the file, and if possible, stop it from doing so. But it's not a setting that you can turn off, if that's what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't there a setting? Surely there should be? Even when you edit a file, you often don't want to save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of a single application that has such an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... So you go close and touch the N key. Such an option without prompting would be very risky and I would not want to see it. Too easy to lose hours of work.  I don't think touching N is so much of an imposition, especially if using the keyboard to close, which I assume you do as you're in a hurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can alter excel to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in theory it's possible to embed a script in a PDF file that will do it as well, but you can't do that using Reader. You would need Acrobat to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you have to do that for every PDF or just one? I'm interested, I think I have acrobat in work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every PDF that you want to behave in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no solution for this?   I open many PDF's everyday.  continually asking if we want to save in the Reader where we don't make changes is annoying.  Makes one want to use a different reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines