• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How I set Adobe Reader DC to open in Read Mode (without going to View to turn it on)?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to read documents in full window view - without the right sidebar.

I can go to View and set Read Mode on, but I would prefer not to do that with every document I open.

So how do I set it to normally open in Read Mode?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Hi VlastoC,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback.

We would request you to share your suggestion and feedback with your product team by filling the following form: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac

Let us know if we can be of any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donw87735455,

Viewing preferences needs to be set for individuals file using Acrobat application for Read mode.

By default Reader won't open the files in Reader mode.

However you can use the Shortcut for Read mode Ctrl+H.

If you want to disable the right tools pane, you can do it in the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC, simply navigate to Edit menu -> Preferences -> Documents -> un-check "Open tools pane for each document".

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that does not work.  I have unchecked "Open tools pane for each document" and I still get the tools pane at the right side.  BUG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donw87735455,

Restart your computer after un-checking "Open tools pane for each document".

Let me know if it still shows up.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it still shows up after a power cycle.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked.  Apparently one must close the right pane by using the small arrow (and not from View - Read only), then go to preferences, uncheck the box and save it.

I had saved preferences many times prior to this attempt and was unsuccessful if I unchecked the box and saved with the right pane still open.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this question has been answered.  There is a difference between "Read Mode" and minimizing the "Tools Pane" on the right hand side.  Minimizing the Tools Pane still leaves a narrow vertical band with the arrow to allow reopening it.  Read Mode, on the other hand, gets rid of that area as well and adds an ephemeral Save/Print/Navigation menu at the bottom.

Since I primarily use Acrobat Reader for reading PDF documents, it would be convenient if the default were to open the file in true Read Mode.  Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

still any response? I am looking to open all pdf with read mode and I am stuck.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like an answer. Adobe's products get worse and worse every year.  This is READER it should open in READ mode since it is used primary for ...... READING.  If I wanted to edit PDFs, I would use Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree. Reader owners seem to have completely lost their way. They forgot what the thing is actually primarily used for. There is an update and suddenly I have to go and find some new magic setting burried in the heap of all kinds of bells and whistles, just to prevent some new fancy "feature" (mostly something prompting me to buy more Adobe stuff) get in my way, this thread being the authentic case in point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VlastoC,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback.

We would request you to share your suggestion and feedback with your product team by filling the following form: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac

Let us know if we can be of any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Yes you can be of help. Instead of copy-pasting a standard response you could give an indication as to why a pdf reader opens in an edit mode. And why you have lots and lots of settings but have chosen to exclude one that opens in reader mode. Is this a mistake on your side or are you intentionally making your software annoying to use? Either option is utterly incomprensible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm, how in the F*** is this considered "solved"?  No where is this actually answered.   There is another thread on this that also just points back here.  The adobie employee telling to give feedback should not be considered a "solved" answer.  Lots of suggestions for closing the toolbar, but not for defaulting to read mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a quickie, since 2015 you can no longer click on the edit menu and then access preferences, it does not come up. The only way you can get up preferences now is by pressing control and K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines