Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW TO DETECT A MODIFIED PDF FILE

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I re-post this message because I've found a way to detect that a file as been modified . I found that any modification may corrupted the cross reference table & it's easily detect with "bycepdfdata" , a software that shows metadata.... But I don't know if it do detect a file modified with acrobatpro ? Your opinion ?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no sure proof way to determine if a generic pdf file is modified. If you go to the document properties (control or command d), if the proper metadata is available, it will list the creation date and time and modified date and time. This can help you determine if a pdf file has been modified since creation. However, it is not foolproof. This metadata is not secured. The easiest way to detect if a file has been modified to to digitally sign the document. Reader and Acrobat will report if the document has been changed since it was signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to detect if a file has been modified to to digitally sign the document.

But in case of a non digitally signed doc , you can detect if the cross ref table as been corrupted by using the software amention above .

My question was : when you modify a pdf with adobe arc pro , does it corrupted the ref table ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question was : when you modify a pdf with adobe arc pro , does it corrupted the ref table ?

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using timestamps to track copy editors edit updates on PDF documents. As I understand from the forum my copyeditors are able to change the edit times. I would like to make it impossible for them to do so. The current process allows me to access first to the PDF document and then send it to them for copy editing work. Ideally, before sending it to them, I would block their ability to change edit times. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. Hope you can help.

If I sign it will the document update itself to say I have signed it?  For example: I have a print of a pdf supplied to me. On the last page it says :

Signed electronically by both parties 

Hope you can help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Joseph364176090e93,

Hope you are doing well. Thanks for writing in!

If you have signed the file, it will be changed to a read-only version. Also, if you have the file signed using a digital certificate, you can check its authenticity. More info here: Validating digital signatures, Adobe Acrobat

Hope this helps.

-Souvik

Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, if you modify (edit) a PDF with Acrobat Pro, it will create a new reference table on save that coincides with the changes made. At that point a new "created" date is applied.

If you don't want anyone to modify your PDFs, why not just lock and password protect them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a checksum by right click and then crc sha, its not a guarante, but if its the same its probably the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines