• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a read-only file?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files that I used to be able to edit to are now suddenly read-only.  Across the top bar, it says "The file you have opened complies with the PDF/A standard and has been opened read-only to prevent modification." How do I change that so I can make edits? Under Security Properties, it says Signing and Filling Forms is allowed. I have Adobe Reader X.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

In the preferences of Adobe Reader disable the PDF/A mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preferences of Adobe Reader disable the PDF/A mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  In case others have the same question, that mode is under Documents (in Preferences)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You SAVED me! In the middle of a deadline, and all of a sudden all my Adobe PDF's became "read only." Anyway... thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences-Documents-PDF/A view mode (select in the drop down menu-Never). You're done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about on mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your issue with mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is with the mobile app as well. I secure my pdf files with the Edit > "Restrict Editing" password setting, which should disallow changing the document, document assembly and content copying, but allow printing, page extraction, filling out of forms, signing, etc. as shown on the Document Porperties dialog box's Security tab. Unfortunately, the Acrobat Reader iphone mobile app has never allowed my forms to be filled out without a password. The latest version of the app says the file is "read only" and when I click "fill and sign" it says "Protected document. This tool is not available because the document is password protected". I keep hoping they fix it. Is there a better way to add security and allow for filling out and printing that works with the mobile app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Edit > "Restrict Editing", I meant the "Edit PDF" tool, and the "Restrict Editing" checkbox of the tool. I've never attempted to use the Protect tool to set security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in researching the PDF/A mode, it looks like PDF/A mode is "designed to give a minimal feature set to enable long term storage assuming that storage formats will vary in future rendering a full PDF document either partially or totally unreadable."

So I guess I need to remove the security (open pdf, click Edit PDF tool, enter the applicable password, uncheck the security box, save again), change my preference to PDF/A mode to "Never", then resave my security using the Edit PDF tool, on each pdf? I'll give it a go on one of them on my computer, then try to open it in the mobile app to see if it lets me fill out the form. It would be great to be able to allow cusotmers to use the mobile app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performing those actions didn't allow me to fill out the form on the app, unfortunately.  Is there a PDF/A mode preference setting on the iphone app that I'm not seeing, that I need to set and make customers aware of? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also note that if I do not have the pdf restricted with a password, it can be filled out on the mobile app, and this appears to be regardless of the PDF/A setting I had on my desktop version when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a "Fill and Sign" iphone app as well. I just downloaded it and opened a few test pdfs I created, and it completely removes my existing form fields (which are prepopulated with text in an embedded font), whether or not the pdf is password protected. It only leaves the background picture. You can click anywhere and add text, but it isn't using the text boxes from the pdf or the embedded fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry this is really late but I found a way! Export it to word then export back to pdf & it'll no longer be in read only mode 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this located. I can't find anywhere in Adobe acrobat under Preferences. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't edit PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I read all of these comments and none of them apply to me. I am on the mobile version on my iPad. I cannot edit because it says read only. If i export it it is all a jumbled mess and it doesn't give me another option to export it back. I Dont have the PDF/A mode as an option either. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've suddenly developed the same problem.

When I open a PDF file, I used to be able to save my comments on that file.  Now, my Adobe only allows me to save it under a new name.  I do not want different versions of the same document.  I want one document with all the different comments.

I've changed the preferences as suggested in previous posts.

It hasn't made a difference.

I urgently need help with this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to take tense about it is very simple to make it editable. If in some you can edit  it, you convert your pdf file into doc file by online. You can do it by many tools such like Smallseotool, smallpdf.com and ilovepdf.com are remarkable. 

Professional Product Photo Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines