• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Stop Reader DC from Opening in Maximized View Every Time, for Every PDF File?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Acrobat Reader DC the other day. Now, every PDF file I open, from any source, in any manner, opens with the reader in "maximized" view. This is just about the most irritating thing I have ever encountered, as Adobe provides no obvious way for this to be turned off. The older reader did NOT do this.

Is Adobe being a "bully" with hogging my screen space? or is there a way to set this so the Reader opens in a "normal" view: not maximized and not minimized, every time?

I have tried all the obvious settings, such as: Open to "last saved" view" setting;  Every option under Preferences... Nothing seems to work!

Please help... this is driving me nuts. I have other windows I use.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Glad to hear that it worked for you. The registry key referred earlier was slightly wrong, so I'm re-posting the workaround for everyone's reference.

If you're experiencing the problem related to window remaining in maximized state, here is the resolution -

For key - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\WebResource" and value name - "irandom", modify the value to 0x00001000 in hex or 4096 in decimal. This workaround should work till we roll out a proper fix.

- Anup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For Mac machines, the changes need to made in the plist file "com.adobe.acrobat.DC.WebResource.plist" inside "/Library/Preferences/".

To make these changes, open any plist editor (you can download Pref Setter for this purpose).

Within Pref Setter (or the plist editor of your choice), press CMD + O & within the Finder dialog, press CMD + SHIFT + G (Go to Folder) --> Type "/Library/Preferences/" and press enter. Select the plist file "com.adobe.acrobat.DC.WebResource.plist" for editing. Within the Pref Setter window, change the value of "irandom" to 4000 & save the plist.

Once done, restart the machine to allow the plist changes to reflect.

If you are facing a similar issue in Reader as well, please make similar changes in the plist file "com.adobe.reader.DC.WebResource.plist" inside "/Library/Preferences/".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Acrobat DC on an I-Mac running the latest version of El Capitan.  I can find no com.adobe.acrobat.DC.WebResource.plist in "/Library/Preferences/".

When I look in this directory, all I see is com.adobe.acc,ac.plist, com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist,

com.adobe.Acrobat.Uninstaller.plist. com.adobe.AdobeAcroCEFHelper.plist,

com.adobe.adobedigitaleditions.app.plist. com.adobe.ARM.plist and

com.adobe.crashreporter.plist.  That's the complete list.  In case I should be looking in

com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist, I had a look at this file (using xcode).  It had many entries,

but irandom was not one of them.

I am still waiting for the solution to this very annoying problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Utkarsh this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! It worked on my PC. Many thanks your hard work is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this does NOT fix it for me. Not at all. 2015.009.20079. PRO, not reader. The fact that I am using Pro makes a difference, perhaps. All I know is that the registry settings posted here as the answer does/do NOT work.

I changed the registry setting. Killed acrotray and updater. Loaded a PDF by double-clicking from desktop. It was maximized. I made a normal window. Bear in mind I am using a 4k monitor. This is an unacceptable behavior in general, but on a 4K monitor this is utterly, laughably, stupidly ridiculous to force all PDFs to open in a maximized window.

Anybody have a fix? I don't care what files I muck around in, what registry settings I have to use, what dark magic.

Also, I don't like the navigation pane on the left. Or the collapsed bars on the left and right. I want them gone and my decision respected for future documents. I don't want to sacrifice even a tiny bit of screen real estate because I am running in tiled mode and I don't want cruft or clutter. This software can so maddening from a simple annoyance/usability standpoint.

Edit: I added a new key "WebResource" under Acrobat Pro DC and a new DWORD inside called "irandom" which I set to 1000 [hex]. I also checked the box in Acrobat saying "restore last view settings when reopening documents". Now the entire 4096x2160 screen flickers annoyingly with a brief fullscreen mode when the file is opened, but the window then jumps down to the correct non-maximized size. Glitchy and hacky-looking as all heck, but it sort of works now and saves a click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back. Still broken. This only worked on individual files I've already opened before. New files still caused it to open fullscreen.

A user has found the solution (SHAME on Adobe for not being able to fix such an obvious bug for months when it was right there in the registry by name):

Adobe Acrobat DC always opens PDF maximized, how do I stop this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues. This is the information Adobe sent me directly.

Solution 1: Go to the desktop and right click select Personalize

Now click on Display on the left

From the 3 options available select Smaller - 100%

Click Apply and Logout & Log In again.

Solution 2:

Open Reader

Go to Edit > Preferences

From Touch Mode drop down

Select Never

Scale for screen resolution (restart required) select No Scaling

Click Ok and reopen Reader

It did not appear to work when I did it yesterday. But upon opening my first PDF this morning the window (and thus the printing issue) no longer appears maximized but in a standard sized window. Hope it works for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having these issues, but when I click on a hyperlink embedded in an Excel document.  Everytime, Adobe opens the new document maximized (on my 48-inch wide screen).  It does not matter if the last document I opened is still open and sized into a window on my screen, the next document will open it maximized again.  Other hyperlinks, such as a file manager launch or photos, will not open maximized, just Adobe.   

I am running Adobe Acrobat DC (20.013.20074) on a Windows 10 Pro (19041.746).  I have tried with no success some of the other the registry edits here (irandom), and those found in other strings for other variables, (such as ExitSection, bMaximizeNextDocument & bNullDocMaximized discussed at the following thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/adobe-acrobat-dc-always-opens-pdf-maximized-how-do-i-stop-thi... )

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem, but happening with links from Word. Perhaps it's a Microsoft Office issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines