Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inability to open an docx file sent as an email attachment

Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After receiving an email with a docx file attachment, I was unable to open it. The error message says, Adobe Reader cannot open ....docx either because it is not a supported file type or the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded). This is a very important document and more may follow soon. Should I uninstall Adobe Reader, then try to open the document ansd save it to the computer before reinstalling Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A different approach; maybe easier to resolve:  In Control Panel, Programs & Features, do a Repair for both Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office - that should fix the file associations automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this approach didn't work for me, I eventually found a solution in  another forum. Thanks to all who tried to help. It is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahaan! Uninstalling Adobe Reader doesn't help you. If the attachment is saved with .docx extention, why you are trying to open it in Adober Reader? Just open in with MS Word or OpenOffice (if you have). If still the file is unreadble or unable to be opened, this means the file is corrupted. You need to repair it or need to recover your data from it. You can try to Open and Repair the .docx file.

[ spam link removed ]

It would be helpful if word document is corrupted.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines